Defoma?

Story: Debian: contempt for "end user" values has to stop!Total Replies: 5
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Aug 14, 2009
1:21 AM EDT
I really don't understand the Defoma issue. I just drop my .ttf files in ~/.fonts and then run "fc-cache -v" to update the font cache. There are a ton of really old articles about Debian and fonts referencing Defoma and other tools and font managers, but I have never used them.
krisum

Aug 14, 2009
6:31 AM EDT
Defoma is required if one intends to use the font with ghostscript, postscript printers, non-xft X server font (or with xfs) etc (the problem mentioned in article, I believe, is true only for X server/xfs font registration). For regular desktop usage it should not be required but the author does not make it clear why he wanted to go the defoma route.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 14, 2009
11:48 AM EDT
In 14 years, I've never bothered with it. My "custom" fonts are dealt with inside of KDE, for personal use rather than system wide.

Obviously, it's an issue for advanced users, rather than just "users".
tuxchick

Aug 14, 2009
12:31 PM EDT
It would be a nice thing to have a Linux font manager like the other operating systems have, where you can sort and group them any way you like, create a default set, have previews, and make nice printouts of the character sets. There have been attempts at making something like over the years, but as far as I know they've all fallen by the wayside. So maybe it's harder than it looks.
azerthoth

Aug 14, 2009
8:35 PM EDT
I believe that KDE4.something has a font manager in it. Then again I know just enough about KDE4.x to be dangerous to myself and others being an avowed Fluxbox user. I do keep an updated install of KDE4 around though to poke at once in awhile, but good grief does that thing take awhile to compile. Almost as bad as OOo.
krisum

Aug 15, 2009
3:22 AM EDT
I have heard a few good things about fontmatrix though never felt the need to use it. I do not think there is any font manager that will do all that defoma does, though, as mentioned by Sander, for the author's case dropping into ~/.fonts is all that was required.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!