installation problem....while installing LENNY 5.0....Help

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
raisun

Aug 14, 2009
8:07 AM EDT
I dont know whether this is an unique problem........I am new to linux.....and also new to Debian Lenny 5.0

I was trying to install Lenny 5.0 in my system which already has Windows XP in it. But now it started developing problems....

Let me explain in steps.....what i did.......

1. I have a sony dvd rom....which i am using for installing Lenny.

2. The dvd rom (IDE) is connected as a secondary master on my motherboard.

3. Unfortunately the dvd rom wont read the installation DVD.

4. Now i used another LG DVD writer (SCSI) for installation.

5. The SCSI is connected as a Third Master.

6. Now i can boot from the dvd and the installation starts.....but when it reaches the DETECT CD ROM and MOUNT it does not detect the SCSI drive but it checks for the IDE drive.

7. I tried by removing the IDE drive connection from the motherboard But it shows the message " NO CD ROM DETECTED". even when the SCSI is still connected.

8. When I connect the IDE Drive it shows " NO CD IN THE DRIVE"...eventhough the installation cd is in the SCSI drive.

9. Now i cannot connect the SCSI drive as secondary master....as Both my primary and secondary are IDE.

10. I do not know whether this is a Hardware problem or Linux problem...

SO THE QUESTION I AM ASKING IS: * Is there any way i can make Linux detect the SCSI drive.....without setting it as the secondary.

* Is it possible that Lenny has a default settings of detecting drives in secondary master.

* I am new to linux.....so please help...and if possible give a detailed....answer.

It did ask for the location for the installation CD... It did ask for the device file to be mounted on....or something similar to that......

it had the path.... /dev/cdrom

now i know cdrom is not correct....but i hav to specify the file name.......i.e /dev/filename...

but the problem is i dont know the device file name...........

and i dont know hw to find it....

i did try..... " ls /dev "

but i did not find anything useful....

Can you help me with this....

Thanking you for your time...

raisun
jdixon

Aug 14, 2009
9:10 AM EDT
First, read the installation how-to at http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/apa

It has information on alternative installation methods, which may work for you if you can't resolve the CD problem.

Second, does the installer give you the option of specifying the location of your installation CD, rather than just searching for it? Most installers I've seen do, but I haven't tried the Debian installer recently.

Since I don't use Debain, I can't be of much assistance beyond that. Hopefully one of our Debain users will be able to help you or point you to someplace you can find help.
raisun

Aug 14, 2009
9:24 AM EDT
Thanx jdixon.....now that you have mentioned it......It did ask for the location for the installation CD..

It did ask for the device file to be mounted on....or something similar to that......

it had the path.... /dev/cdrom

now i know cdrom is not correct....but i hav to specify the file name.......i.e /dev/filename...

but the problem is i dont know the device file name...........

and i dont know hw to find it....

i did try..... " ls /dev "

but i did not find anything useful....

Can you help me with this....

Thank you for replying......... raisun
bigg

Aug 14, 2009
9:58 AM EDT
I don't have an answer for you, but am curious about one thing. If you are new to Linux, is there a specific reason you are using Debian? Ubuntu, Mint, PCLinuxOS, Mepis are all distros that are better suited for newbies.

IMO linuxquestions.org is a very good place to get support. You might post there if you have not done so. The few times I've used it, I've gotten a bunch of good responses quickly.
jdixon

Aug 14, 2009
10:35 AM EDT
> but the problem is i dont know the device file name...........

SCSI disk devices are usually /dev/sd devices. The problem is that SATA devices are also /dev/sd devices, and some distros now include IDE devices in that category. So there's no way to be certain what the device is without checking your boot messages. They should indicate how the SCSI device was detected and what device name was assigned to it. If you're setting at the command prompt in the install process, try using the dmesg command to review those messages. Given that there's a lot there, you'll probably find it useful to pipe it to the more command like so: dmesg | more
azerthoth

Aug 14, 2009
11:40 AM EDT
raison, please remove the ----- separator from your post, its breaking the text formating of all the following posts
Bob_Robertson

Aug 14, 2009
11:46 AM EDT
What surprises me is that the install CD will boot, and be read, and the install will begin, which means that the BIOS and Linux kernel must already be accessing and reading that CD.

If this system already has an OS on it, have you tried the "online" install available at GoodbyMicrosoft.com?
jdixon

Aug 14, 2009
12:46 PM EDT
> ...which means that the BIOS and Linux kernel must already be accessing and reading that CD.

It is, but when it looks for the CD during the install it looks for /dev/cdrom, which points to the IDE device. :( I've heard of this happening before with other installers. He needs to tell the installer where to look for the CD, but without reviewing the boot messages, there's no way to know what device id it's been assigned.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 17, 2009
5:34 AM EDT
Quoting:but without reviewing the boot messages, there's no way to know what device id it's been assigned.

If it is found at all. The installer is loaded from the DVD by the BIOS and the boot loader. It is entirely possible that the BIOS and bootloader have support for the SCSI drive while the Linux kernel itself has not. Another possibility is that the kernel does have the drivers but that they are not loaded by default, since most systems don't have SCSI based DVD players.

@raisun: If I were you, i'd try to install from USB stick instead. You can find images for USB sticks here:

i386: http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-i... amd64: http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-a...
machiner

Aug 17, 2009
7:41 AM EDT
Since having a hard time with an "operating system" installation is not where troubles should begin, I would take the easy way out for now and address the rest later.

It takes about 1 minute to open the case and unplug your other optical drives. Go ahead and install Debian with the one optical drive it sees and add the other drives to /etc/fstab later. Pretty simple, you'll simply add a new line for your other drives. Searching Google will hook you up but it may go something like this:

/dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0 /dev/sr0 /media/CDROM udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

Your Sony optical drive should be /dev/hdX, likely hda (/dev/hda)

Maybe your other optical drives would be /dev/scX, so: /dev/scd or /dev/scd0

You cannot post until you login.