It's that

Story: Taming Twitter with the Command LineTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
tracyanne

Aug 14, 2009
9:52 PM EDT
Quoting:That means that every few seconds there is an update on my "people I follow" list, and it is almost always something I am not interested in. This makes Twitter kind of useless for me.

what makes twitter knda useless, fullstop. Heinlein may have been right when he said 90% of everything is cr4p, but he didn't know about twitter then, where it's more like 99% of everything is cr4p.
caitlyn

Aug 14, 2009
10:26 PM EDT
I've avoided twitter so far. From all I've heard about it I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
jdixon

Aug 14, 2009
10:47 PM EDT
> From all I've heard about it I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Just a bunch of twits. :)
caitlyn

Aug 14, 2009
11:08 PM EDT
I thought they were tweets, which makes it sound like the whole thing is for the birds anyway.
jdixon

Aug 15, 2009
10:10 AM EDT
> hI thought they were tweets

The posts are tweets, yes. I wasn't referring to the posts. :)
theboomboomcars

Aug 15, 2009
1:06 PM EDT
As a new teacher I had a lot of meetings this last week and one of the presenters uses twitter for collaboration with other teachers around the world. It was probably the only use of twitter that I have heard about.
gus3

Aug 15, 2009
3:06 PM EDT
Pure drivel drives ordinary drivel off the screen, every time.
jdixon

Aug 15, 2009
4:54 PM EDT
> It was probably the only use of twitter that I have heard about.

I'm absolutely certain that there are people who find productive uses for twitter. I'm also certain they're a significant minority.
gus3

Aug 15, 2009
5:00 PM EDT
Like controlling a botnet?
tracyanne

Aug 15, 2009
6:58 PM EDT
Quoting:I'm also certain they're a significant minority.

Don't you mean insignificant. Or do you mean they are significant only because they are such a small minority.
jdixon

Aug 15, 2009
10:07 PM EDT
> Don't you mean insignificant.

Significant as in being rare enough to stand out from the normal population. Sort of like an albino deer.
caitlyn

Aug 15, 2009
11:01 PM EDT
I had all sort of snappy responses for jdixon's post but they're all inappropriate for LXer for one reason or another. Pity...

Hey, pet rocks were popular once too. They were about as useful as Twitter seems to be.
jdixon

Aug 16, 2009
10:15 AM EDT
> Like controlling a botnet?

Ohh, I hadn't considered that one. Yes, that might be considered a "productive" use.
machiner

Aug 17, 2009
2:00 PM EDT
Some details aside, his article's larger point has merit.
gus3

Aug 17, 2009
2:33 PM EDT
@jdixon:

Yes, there are people in Russia, Nigeria, China, and Afghanistan who consider that "productive," at least for their bank accounts.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!