You don't offer an alternative

Story: TomTom LeechesTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
hkwint

Aug 16, 2009
11:34 AM EDT
First of all, let me applaud the efforts you took to find out why Tomtom only uses Free Software while not supporting free software. You're one of the only persons not only complaining but also trying to find a solution. And you're right TomTom are leechers (I didn't expect anything else, but I understand their patent issues might have risen some expectations). Also, it's sad they don't support Linux, short sighted, and what more. I couldn't agree more. However, I have certain doubts about your conclusions:

Quoting:and I will do all in my power to dissuade people not to buy you (sic) products.

Well, that's fine, and sounds like a logical thing to do. But, how about this situation:

I'm some Linux-user willing to buy a PND. Better, in fact I am, I'm looking for some replacement of my 2005 sluggish Chinese-brand unit. I'm a supporter of Free Software (true also!), and I'll ask you what PND I should buy. Especially, I rather won't have my "hard earned money" (some came from an allowance, but anyway) end up at Microsoft (true also!)

What are you going to tell me, I should buy a Garmin, Mio or Lenco instead? Do those offer Linux support? Well, as far as I know, they don't.

Here's what the Garmin site tells:

Quoting:Compatible computers and Internet browsers: IBM-compatible PCs running Windows® XP or Vista operating systems with Internet Explorer 6+ or Firefox 1.5+ Intel-based or PowerPC G3 or later Mac OS 10.4 or later with Firefox 2.0+ or Safari 2.0+

Mio - well, I cannot find out. As far as I know (I own one), Lenco doesn't work with Linux either.

Yes, there's a way around which doesn't involve Wine or Windows (hell, I should be payed for this advice, because I can give you TomTom / Linux support which even the company itself doesn't seem to deliver):

-Install torrent client (I prefer KTorrent, but anything else will do also), -Goto torrent site (I prefer BTJunkie), -Find out the name of the file that's on your SD-card; one big img file several 100 megs big, -Search for the file in combination with "2010" (for some reason, all proprietary software products of 2009 are called "2010") -Download it (this part may be illegal depending on your country), -Crack it if necessary (this part will probably be illegal in about any country), -Put the SD card in your SD card reader (most SD card readers are supported by Linux), and copy your img-file. -Put the SD back in the PND and pray.

If images of maps of the region where you live are not on torrents / newssites, well, you're out of luck, no Linux-support for you.

But anyway, I figure this is what would happen if I ask you which PND I should buy, I guess you'd say:

"Don't buy TomTom, because they're leechers who don't support Linux and Free Software". Then I'd say "OK, then what should I buy"?

And you could only say "Well, I advise you not to buy a PND at all because none of them work with Linux."

In fact, if I bought one of the competitors product, I might end up paying for Windows Embedded, while when buying a TomTom, I'll probably only end up paying for some (indirect) patent licenses.

So I wonder, if company 1,2,3...n are the set of all the companies selling PND's, and none of companies 1,2,3...n offer Linux support, then -Is it fair to tell people not to buy from company 1? -Does it make sense to tell people not to buy from company 1?

Let me stress it's not your fault there's not a company offering Linux support and I really applaud your efforts. I'm thankful for this information as I'm contemplating buying a new PND-system (if there's money left after the holiday). You confirmed certain aspects of TomTom I already was assuming.

But I'm afraid it's not going to be of much help when I'm in the (e-)store, because I still don't know what I should buy?

So what I'll probably do is bug Navigon (they're German, after all, maybe they care about Linux?) Garmin / Mio about this and point them to this story, and ask them what they can do for me.
tracyanne

Aug 16, 2009
5:22 PM EDT
Quoting:So what I'll probably do is bug Navigon (they're German, after all, maybe they care about Linux?) Garmin / Mio about this and point them to this story, and ask them what they can do for me.

In the mean time since people are going to need to have Windows or Mac to use any navigation device, I'll just tell then not to buy the TomTom device. If they ask me I'll tell them I have one and I don't like it, that I think my friend's Navman or whatever else comes to mind is a better buy. I don't have to mention that TomTom are leaches, not that most people would understand.
jdixon

Aug 16, 2009
6:16 PM EDT
AFAICT, none of the GPS manufacturers support Linux. GPS modules themselves are fairly well, supported, but not the complete GPS units. So if you want to use a GPS module and run the GPS software on your netbook, that's doable, but working with a Garmin, Magellan, TomTom, et.al., unit doesn't seem to be. :(

So, until one of the manufacturers steps forward with Linux support, I'd use the same criteria I use for any other non-computer purchase: price vs. features. I'd buy the unit which gives me the most desirable features at the best price.

In our case, that turned out to be a Garmin Streetpilot c510 my wife picked up from woot.com for $75 sometme last year.
gus3

Aug 16, 2009
6:58 PM EDT
My Magellan 315 had the full GPS serial protocol documented in the user manual.

Granted, that isn't direct support of Linux, but laying everything out was certainly a favorable move.
jdixon

Aug 16, 2009
7:04 PM EDT
> My Magellan 315 had the full GPS serial protocol documented...i

From what I was able to find online while researching the subject, I believe both Garmin and Magellan make their specs available,
acrider

Aug 17, 2009
10:17 AM EDT
I've also been doing some research on this and haven't found a good solution yet. I bought a TomTom over a year ago and had been using an employer-provided laptop to update it until I changed jobs last month. Since then I've been using Windows installed in VirtualBox, although I've had some difficulties with it (Windows XP stopped recognizing it after the first update, but Windows 7 is currently working). Regardless, I'll have nothing more to do with TomTom once I find a suitable replacement.

The most promising thing I have found so far is the Nokia N810 WiMax with Wayfinder Navigator software. But that is no longer available and Nokia has not yet announced a replacement. It is more expensive than the TomTom but would provide a lot of other capabilities, including PDA functions, media player, internet browser, and other applications. Assuming the rumors of a new internet tablet being released in the next month or two are correct, I'll do some more research on it and go that route if it is acceptable.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!