Debunking Ken Hess' nonsense

Story: Yes, Open Source Licenses DO have a purpose!Total Replies: 3
Author Content
caitlyn

Aug 17, 2009
12:31 PM EDT
The author does a good job debunking Ken Hess' nonsense. The only question remaining is why someone with half a brain would have suggested doing everything in the public domain in the first place.
gus3

Aug 17, 2009
12:48 PM EDT
For myself, I think public domain makes perfect sense for scripts that need no translation before execution (Bash, Perl, ECMAScript, PHP and the like). The only "translation" that serves any purpose is obfuscation, which would be grounds for GPLv2/3.
ender2070

Aug 17, 2009
12:54 PM EDT
Some people seem to think that the goal is free as in beer and it's not. They simply use the software because its cheap. Ken for instance is simply some cheap guy, If you research him you'll see he hosts a radio show called "Frugal Friday". Frugal is the dictionary definition of "cheap". Not Pro Microsoft? They had a guest from Microsoft, Kenon Owens, Microsoft Technical PM.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get microsoft rebates for posting stuff in favor of them.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 17, 2009
1:53 PM EDT
> I wouldn't be surprised if they get microsoft rebates for posting stuff in favor of them.

Right out of the Microsoft Astroturf handbook.

GPL sucks. BSD good, Public Domain better.

...but only for F/OSS. Proprietary software doesn't need such things, because it's not pretending to be "open source".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!