linux filesystem for 11Tb data backup volume

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
d0nk3y

Aug 20, 2009
7:44 PM EDT
Hey there guys,

Does anyone have any advice on which FS I should use on an 11Tb data backup volume?

I was going to use ext4 but it's a Hardy LTS box (which I don't really want to 'change').

Going to be used to backup a mix of linux and windows servers (probably using one or some of Bacula/Amanda/BackupPC).

Many thanks
d0nk3y

Aug 20, 2009
8:38 PM EDT
Hmmmm....seems the best alternatives then are ext3 and XFS. But just saw that ext3 cannot do an 11Tb volume so perhaps XFS is the best one after all?
caitlyn

Aug 20, 2009
9:02 PM EDT
XFS will give you the best performance on really large filesystems. JFS is also worth considering.
gus3

Aug 20, 2009
9:37 PM EDT
For backup, I would suggest JFS. Likewise for a large volume containing mostly live database files. Keep the journal inside the same volume.

For sporadic access involving entire files (such as /usr or /home, typical desktop use), I would suggest XFS with the journal on a different volume, preferably on a different device path/controller.
d0nk3y

Aug 20, 2009
10:00 PM EDT
Thanks caitlyn - I read something somewhere about JFS being out of active development by IBM now. Though their website shows a release earlier this year.

Doing some XFS write tests and looks like it's averaging around 150MB/s, peaking to ~220MB/s.
d0nk3y

Aug 20, 2009
10:02 PM EDT
Thanks gus, that's interesting about having the journal on a different set of disks. I have a ton of space on the root filesystem (ext3) - could I store it there?

I guess it depends on how XFS stores its journal - either in another XFS partition or in a file on another volume?
gus3

Aug 20, 2009
11:23 PM EDT
Eleven terabytes of backup should definitely go on dedicated storage, away from live data. One extra point: will this volume be encrypted? You wouldn't want to encrypt the volume containing the live data, but leave the backup of that data in the clear.

XFS for live data, with a journal on a separate device (NOT file), is easy for any but the root filesystem. External XFS journaling on the root takes some hacking in the init ramdisk, not for the faint-hearted.

You cannot post until you login.