My setup (under construction)

Story: The Linux Home Office: What's In Your Cyberspace?Total Replies: 15
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Aug 26, 2009
6:10 PM EDT
My girlfriend and I just bought a big house and in it I will finally have room for a proper office. It will house the server(s) and my main development machine. My girlfriend is a big book geek so she's getting a proper library (which also includes a desk to work on and another computer). Spread throughout the house will be UTP sockets. Everything will be Cat5e and Cat6 into my office into a gigabit switch.

Since we're using VoIP, the telephones (spread throughout the house) will also be connected through this network. To top if off there will be a wireless access point and either a small laptop (13") or a netbook for casual couch surfing. We don't want a dekstop computer taking up space in the living room anymore.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 26, 2009
6:19 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to pull some cable ... not looking forward to it.
techiem2

Aug 26, 2009
6:23 PM EDT
Oh no...TC asked The Question... Now I'm gonna have to draw up a diagram of my current setup and get the wiki page up to date. Mwahaha.
gus3

Aug 26, 2009
9:19 PM EDT
Have you considered Webdot? It's great for mapping out small networks. And when you re-connect a wire, you just edit a line or two, re-process, and voila! The picture is updated to the new reality.
techiem2

Aug 26, 2009
9:19 PM EDT
Ok TC, you asked for it. Here's my lan. ;)

http://bit.ly/pxKnp

caitlyn

Aug 26, 2009
9:30 PM EDT
Quoting:I'm getting ready to pull some cable ... not looking forward to it.

This house was wired for ethernet when it was built nine years ago. Of course nowadays we want computers in all different places than before and we ended up just doing encrypted wireless. Nowdays for a home network I wouldn't even bother going wired at all.
tuxchick

Aug 26, 2009
9:32 PM EDT
I bow to techiem2-- LXer's master geek.

**bow**
techiem2

Aug 26, 2009
10:14 PM EDT
lol.

Thanks TC. :)

gus3

Aug 26, 2009
10:20 PM EDT
caitlyn, for extra security:

http://xkcd.com/257/
caitlyn

Aug 26, 2009
10:45 PM EDT
@gus3: Cute!

This week on DistroWatch we have people arguing that running as root without any password is just fine and those who claim otherwise are blowing things out of proportion or paranoid or have an agenda. Un-freaking-believable! Navajo code talkers are light years ahead of some people.
gus3

Aug 26, 2009
11:00 PM EDT
Root without password? I'd rather do it in a Free system than in a proprietary system.

Let me re-phrase that. I'd rather do it in Slackware than in any other system, period. In Slackware, I can get the packages for -current and pass them to the stock Slackware installer. The only other system I know of that can do that is Gentoo, which I won't touch with a ten-foot serial cable.

(If any other Linux systems can install updates directly on a new install, rather than doing a stock install followed by an update, please feel free to point them out.)
krisum

Aug 27, 2009
3:26 AM EDT
Quoting: Let me re-phrase that. I'd rather do it in Slackware than in any other system, period. In Slackware, I can get the packages for -current and pass them to the stock Slackware installer.
Me left wondering as to what this has got to do with "root without password" setup.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 27, 2009
3:59 AM EDT
Quoting:Nowdays for a home network I wouldn't even bother going wired at all.

Unfortunately I can't do that. I need my gigabit connection to make backups at an acceptable speed. My computers are configured to rsync to the backup server when they reboot or shut down (just a little script I added to rc0 and rc6). Rsyncing several gigabyte of data over a 50 Mbit wireless isn't fun.
gus3

Aug 27, 2009
8:18 AM EDT
Quoting:Me left wondering as to what this has got to do with "root without password" setup.
The system is more likely to get pwn3d at some point, with that kind of risky behavior. If the damage done necessitates a re-install, I want something that will let me install current packages in a single step, not something that requires a release installation, followed by a long-winded update.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 27, 2009
9:42 AM EDT
@gus: Do you know that you can do that with Debian/Ubuntu (and everything based on APT) as well? You can export a list of all installed packages and feed it into apt(itiude) later on for reinstallation. You can even put it in a meta package if you want to :-)
gus3

Aug 27, 2009
10:48 AM EDT
Doesn't surprise me.

There's other nits I'd pick, but it'd just be moving the goalposts (ever so slightly).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!