Stupid headline

Story: Is Sony a Linux killer?Total Replies: 7
Author Content
caitlyn

Aug 30, 2009
11:21 PM EDT
The article is pretty innocuous but the headline is completely stupid. How can a game console be a "Linux killer"? It seems to write for DaniWeb you must have a high level of drivel and inanity.
techiem2

Aug 30, 2009
11:27 PM EDT
And it's not one of the better articles on the issue, it just covered the same quote in much less detail than other articles.
tuxchick

Aug 31, 2009
12:01 AM EDT
Anyone can write for Daniweb, it's like LiveJournal or Blogger.
moopst

Aug 31, 2009
12:05 AM EDT
The reason Sony cut support for Linux is because people were building Linux clusters on loss-led hardware.
tuxchick

Aug 31, 2009
12:46 AM EDT
Also because, according to this and other articles, the OtherOS option was a virtualizer and they don't want to keep supporting it. Whatever. And why do it the hard way? Sheesh what's wrong with a bare-metal install?
Sander_Marechal

Aug 31, 2009
2:00 AM EDT
I'm not sure that Linux will run bare-metal on a PS3. The PS3's architecture is quite... unique. Of course, giving the option of doing a bare metal install, it's only a matter of time before someone ports. But it would be a long time I think. Running Linux bare-metal on a PS3 is like running it bare metal on any other stream processor like your GPU.

The funny thing is, I don't believe Sony. If they really dropped their hypervisor all together then many PS3 games would stop working. There are two ways of writing PS3 games. The first way is to write directly for the stream processor. This gives you a lot of power, allowing you to write a high quality game that will run very fast. But it's nigh impossible to port that game to another architecture. The second way is to use the hypervisor which makes the PS3 more like a normal computer. It's slower, but it allows games to be easily ported between PS3, XBox and PC.

The only way the second type of games would run is if the hypervisor is on the disk as well and they don't need the hypervisor in the machine.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 31, 2009
1:25 PM EDT
> Linux clusters on loss-led hardware.

http://moss.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/cluster/ps3/

High speed scientific computing, and the latest games!

> Sheesh what's wrong with a bare-metal install?

Speaking of which, I've got Linux installed on a Japanese Sony Vaio to my left here, right now loading the entire "main/games" section of Lenny, for the kids.

It's got the strangest screen effects I've seen. When X is requested to go to 800x600 mode, the display goes grey except for the upper-left 800x600 which is now the whole screen. Same for every other "mode" smaller than the hardwired 1280x1024. Very strange.

Also having the Japanese keyboard attached to it doesn't make things easy. Good thing the kernel keymap can deal with the Japanese keyboard, but I have to figure out how to tell KDE what the keyboard map is or I'll get stuck trying two different places to find the "@" every time. Turns out that the guy who gave it to me did NOT include all the WinXP restore disks, so it's Linux or nothing. Not sure 256M is big enough to run VirtualBox, or that I'll find RAM to beef it up, so all those silly Windows kids games I wanted to load up for the 3-year-old might very well not be available for the latest generation.

But seriously and back on topic: Sony has _always_ messed with hardware, making things unique. My 2003 Vaio laptop came with a standard 802.11b card, oh but it didn't identify itself as a standard card, it had one digit off. It worked just fine with the standard driver (which ever that was) IF that driver was recompiled to accept a "2" as well as a "1", so WTF was the reason for Sony to do that?

The guy who identified the fix on linix-on-laptops.com had sent his change up-stream to the kernel driver maintainer, and the fix was included in the next kernel some 6 months after I got it, so I got first hand experience in the benefits of distributed F/OSS development.

The Sony camcorder on the shelf behind me broke again more than a year ago, not worth fixing. Very pretty hardware, very nice when it works, but Sony stuff seems to be a BEAR to fix when (not if) it breaks.
jdixon

Aug 31, 2009
4:07 PM EDT
> ...but Sony stuff seems to be a BEAR to fix when (not if) it breaks.

And, from experience working on old Sony monitors in the 80's, always has been.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!