I tried to post a comment to this bog

Story: Its about the market share.Total Replies: 24
Author Content
tracyanne

Sep 07, 2009
10:39 PM EDT
but it seems they won't accept my comments.

I pointed out that recently Steve Ballmer in an address to shareholders put Mac and Linux market share at about the same, around 10 to 15% each.
caitlyn

Sep 07, 2009
11:57 PM EDT
You typed bog instead of blog. That may be appropriate, both in terms of where your comment sank and in terms of the mire and miasma of misinformation about Linux' lack of market share this post is contributing to. A swamp or bog indeed...
tracyanne

Sep 08, 2009
1:42 AM EDT
freudian slip, perhaps.
jacog

Sep 08, 2009
3:43 AM EDT
down here 'bog' is slang for toilet... so yah
azerthoth

Sep 08, 2009
12:33 PM EDT
Interesting how local slang can destroy the meaning of plain language. Jacog, that one brings a interesting twist to being 'stuck in a bog'. Which in reality refers to a swampy marshy area.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 08, 2009
12:56 PM EDT
Fixed the spelling in the title of the thread..;-)
caitlyn

Sep 08, 2009
1:35 PM EDT
Scott, you ruined all the fun we were having with it. The article itself isn't worth much...
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 08, 2009
3:54 PM EDT
Sorry, its the grammar bug in me. I cannot resist its urge to correct...;-)
tracyanne

Sep 08, 2009
4:40 PM EDT
No the article itself is mostly puff, and it repeats oft repeated FUD, the writer, obviously, did liitle or no research. The fact that my comment, which contradicted the main point, never got posted, I find particularly offensive. After reading some of the other comments, it looks like tuxxie, only accepts comments that are congratulatory, or are in agreement.
caitlyn

Sep 08, 2009
5:30 PM EDT
Quoting:Sorry, its the grammar bug in me.

No, it isn't. "I tried to post a comment to this bog" is perfectly good English grammar. It may have nothing to do with the article or what tracyanne wanted to say but it certainly was acceptable grammar :)

@tracyanne: I agree with you 100%. I hope you aren't upset that I poked a little fun at your typo.
tracyanne

Sep 08, 2009
5:38 PM EDT
caitlyn, I'm an Aussie, we take the piss out of everyone and everything, including, maybe even especially, ourselves. No I wasn't offended, I just didn't have a good come back.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 09, 2009
12:57 PM EDT
> "I tried to post a comment to this bog"

By scratching it into the peat?
caitlyn

Sep 09, 2009
1:27 PM EDT
Oh, for peat's sake!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
tracyanne

Sep 09, 2009
5:25 PM EDT
Instead it got buried in the peat. In a thousand years they'll dig it up and wonder what the ritual significance of it was. They'll discover the broken phrases, and declare this was to ensure it would never roam the earth again, and declare us all silly buggers, full of strange notions and difficult rhyme and meter.
jdixon

Sep 09, 2009
5:58 PM EDT
> Instead it got buried in the peat.

Isn't that what normally happens to posts in a bog?
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 09, 2009
6:40 PM EDT
Now if you really want me too, I will change the title back to what it was..we'll take a vote say..
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2009
3:10 PM EDT
Well... there's more discussion about bogs than about the blog so maybe that would be a good thing, Scott.

+1 tracyanne for taking the bog thing and running with it in a humorous way.

It's really nice to see that this thread hasn't gotten bogged down. Nope, we're not stuck in the mud here...
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 10, 2009
3:15 PM EDT
Done..;-)
gus3

Sep 10, 2009
5:17 PM EDT
@Scott:

Quit mucking around.
flufferbeer

Sep 10, 2009
9:46 PM EDT
Mucking around in the mire. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more people end up getting sucked up in Ballmer's FUD. (and his temper.... legendary, ouch!!)
gus3

Sep 10, 2009
10:23 PM EDT
Windows is to a PC what quicksand is to a moor.
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2009
11:16 PM EDT
Windows conquers Spain? The Moors did that. I don't think they used quicksand, though.
gus3

Sep 10, 2009
11:19 PM EDT
... I knew someone would say something like that...
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2009
11:26 PM EDT
@gus3: You must be prescient.... or maybe prickly... something like that.
gus3

Sep 11, 2009
12:20 AM EDT
Or maybe I studied in Spain for a year.

A toast to the vagaries of English!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!