Further corroboration of MS's Anti-Linux Propaganda

Story: New Anti-Linux Propaganda from Microsoft Total Replies: 21
Author Content
vainrveenr

Sep 08, 2009
6:03 PM EDT
Besides Kottmair's piece, there is now 'Windows 7 vs. Linux, Microsoft Trashes Open Source OS - In marketing documentation', http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-vs-Linux-Microsoft-...

Among Microsoft's tripartite Legal, Sales, and Developmental strategies to combat F/OSS (also see body of the 4th Comment in the LXer thread http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/29636/), this particular description by Softpedia's Oiaga clearly falls under one of MS Sales-FUD, very similar to Kottmair's piece here. An IMMENSELY revealing quote from the most recent Oiaga piece:
Quoting:“Windows offers your customers choice and compatibility,” the company notes. “A PC sale is not just about the PC, it’s also about the software and devices you can attach to the sale. Since fewer software applications and devices work with Linux machines, your customers’ PC experience will be negatively impacted. It will also be more difficult for you to attack compatible add-ons to the sale.”

Microsoft is even going as far as to state that Linux updates and upgrades are not easy, that Linux is not safer than Windows, and that “Linux is easy to learn and will meet customer expectations about the things they can do with their PC” is a myth.
To say the least, Microsoft Sales & Marketing statements such as these could represent something of a challenge for Microsoft shills and spinmeisters to overcome for the benefit of the more technically-competent majority!!
caitlyn

Sep 08, 2009
7:19 PM EDT
Actually, I think the "more technically-competent are a small minority.
helios

Sep 08, 2009
8:12 PM EDT
Unfortunately so Caitlyn....but it's getting better with the generation behind us. It's almost funny how the kids have to show parents how to change a browser setting.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 08, 2009
8:25 PM EDT
> It's almost funny how the kids have to show parents how to change a browser setting.

Because the kids aren't afraid to break something by going and looking around.

Adults learn, through hard experience, that once broken some things stay broken. Thus the hesitation to "mess with what works".
flufferbeer

Sep 08, 2009
9:02 PM EDT
@caitlyn, Actually, I'd disagree with you from the sheer high-number of technical-aware people OUTSIDE OF THE U.S. The ones I continue to meet from large population countries outside the U.S. downright SMOKE the entertainment-bound and consumer-oriented U.S. computer owners in just basic computer knowledge!! We in the U.S. are the most subject to this Micro$hafts marketing gambit of "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time" Could be that you just don't see this from where you are.... +1 vv fb
gus3

Sep 08, 2009
9:31 PM EDT
"...but you Can't Fool Mom." -- Captain Penny
caitlyn

Sep 08, 2009
10:47 PM EDT
Quoting:from the sheer high-number of technical-aware people OUTSIDE OF THE U.S.

Sorry, I disagree. Windows market share in Israel and much of Europe is higher than in the U.S. I've traveled to Asia and other Middle Eastern countries on business and always had to deal with Windows.
flufferbeer

Sep 08, 2009
11:10 PM EDT
@caitlyn, Nothing to be sorry about; We'll just have to agree that we disagree. I've actually met the large numbers of technically-aware persons in areas OTHER than your less-populated "Israel and much of Europe". These days, I nowadays hear *nix mentioned from these persons as much as or more than Windows. Them's the facts on the ground regardless of the marketshare stats that you've been spoon-fed by those M$-allied "spinmeisters". We still get it... you just don't see this from where you are or where you've been.
gus3

Sep 08, 2009
11:40 PM EDT
I couldn't pass up the chance this weekend to hassle a Diebold repair tech who was working on an ATM.

Then again, my animosity towards Diebold goes beyond their helpless dependence on Microsoft....
caitlyn

Sep 09, 2009
12:48 AM EDT
@flufferbeer: You might want to ask Tracyanne about Australia. I think it's pretty grim there too. Regarding your "facts", provide some substantiating data and I'll gladly change my mind on this.

I've argued against the BS marketshare numbers in the tech press before and will again. I'm not so blind as you may think.
tracyanne

Sep 09, 2009
1:23 AM EDT
I can't get a job in anything but a Microsoft shop. In part that is because I've only ever worked in a Microsoft shop. Catch 22. Resume's are great, until you want to break out.

Where I live, I can't even locate any Linux shops. Even the PHP shops are programming on Windows, and running on IIS, or, occasionally apache on Windows.

Now I know there are plenty of Linux shops around, mostly hosting companies, but they are not pure FOSS, in the Big Cities.
jdixon

Sep 09, 2009
6:16 AM EDT
> Then again, my animosity towards Diebold goes beyond their helpless dependence on Microsoft....

I'll just say agreed and note that they're not the only ones and leave it at that. :)
helios

Sep 09, 2009
2:42 PM EDT
Tracyanne...

Don't make me come over there.....

h
jdixon

Sep 09, 2009
3:02 PM EDT
> Don't make me come over there.....

Just what you need, Ken: A "vacation" in Australia. :)
tracyanne

Sep 09, 2009
5:20 PM EDT
I'm doing my best to "make' you do just that Ken.
hkwint

Sep 09, 2009
6:45 PM EDT
Quoting:Now I know there are plenty of Linux shops around, mostly hosting companies, but they are not pure FOSS, in the Big Cities.

Sounds like somebody has to boldly go where no one has gone before. Big step for a human though.
tracyanne

Sep 09, 2009
7:53 PM EDT
I'm doing MY best, but can only take small shuffling steps.
hkwint

Sep 10, 2009
6:57 AM EDT
Of course, it's not easy to 'create (FOSS) demand' I think.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 10, 2009
12:22 PM EDT
Quoting:..but it's getting better with the generation behind us. It's almost funny how the kids have to show parents how to change a browser setting.

I can relate to that, I have quite literally hand held my Father on how, and where to type web addresses in a browser and how to find and use Google and such..then again it took me two years to train him how to say 'Linux' correctly too. Being tech support for strangers is easier than your parents that's for sure..lol.
helios

Sep 10, 2009
6:47 PM EDT
Being tech support for strangers is easier than your parents that's for sure..lol.

Second only to teaching your 16 year old daughter how to drive.
gus3

Sep 10, 2009
8:00 PM EDT
I can teach any 16-year-old how to drive.

By way of bad example. ;-)
kt

Sep 11, 2009
1:34 PM EDT
Another high-visibility recent MS propaganda: [url=http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_38/b4147076993366.htm?chan=technology_tech maven page - new_this week's column]http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_38/b41470769...[/url]

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!