Seriously, there are better options than bad English.

Story: Are you ready to Protest?Total Replies: 18
Author Content
dinotrac

Sep 12, 2009
12:59 PM EDT
I think.
caitlyn

Sep 12, 2009
6:22 PM EDT
I agree, dino.

OTOH, complaining to the companies is a great alternative to the more confrontational approach Helios is proposing. Bombarding them with e-mails and phone calls makes sense to me.
dinotrac

Sep 12, 2009
9:16 PM EDT
True. Helios runs a high risk of being read the TOS.
gnuisnotunix

Sep 12, 2009
11:50 PM EDT
You should contact Best Buy and Office Depot to complain about the way they are training their employees while using perfect English. :o) Otherwise, you will make an excellent protester and you can use perfect English while you are protesting.
aronzak

Sep 13, 2009
3:40 AM EDT
You know, the community could also just fix some of the valid issues that Microsoft raises. Like confusion over weather or not users need to apply updates in Ubuntu.
jacog

Sep 13, 2009
4:37 AM EDT
What?
gnuisnotunix

Sep 13, 2009
8:20 AM EDT
I wonder if dinotrac will call your attention for using weather instead of whether. Or maybe I should send dinotrac an email so he or she can come down here and set matters straight about using the word weather or whether. :o) Remember always obey the rules of English it's the law. But actually I think Ubuntu does a fairly good job with their updating system, although it ain't my favorite Distribution. I just had to throw an aint out their for all the perfect English readers.
jdixon

Sep 13, 2009
8:44 AM EDT
> Like confusion over weather or not users need to apply updates in Ubuntu.

Since Ubuntu notifies you that updates are available and suggests you install them (even giving some reasons, from memory), I fail to see why there should be any confusion.
dinotrac

Sep 13, 2009
9:42 AM EDT
gnu -

The site has been corrected, which gives me joy.

I don't ordinarily play English/Spelling/Grammar police for a couple of reasons:

1. I'm not exactly outstanding myself, and 2. We have a lot of people who are not native English speakers, and 3. For many things, who cares?

It does, however matter out in the great big world, especially when you wish to share hard truths with those who are not your friends. It never pays to look stupid when you are trying to convince somebody else that they are wrong.
caitlyn

Sep 13, 2009
3:14 PM EDT
@dino: We seem to be in complete agreement on this thread, a rare thing indeed :) Yes, it's good that the site was corrected.

My point about Helios going into stores and challenging what the sales people are saying is confrontational IRL. The danger of online confrontations is relatively small.
gnuisnotunix

Sep 13, 2009
5:50 PM EDT
You are correct. And I appreciate having that information brought to my attention. I will probably be working with some tools to check my grammar in the future.
tuxchick

Sep 14, 2009
10:21 AM EDT
Yeah, who cares if native English speakers can read and write their own language competently. It's just a bunch of silly grammar Nazis who even care. I'm all for incompetence in everything-- basic arithmetic, typing, driving, walking, talking, eating, getting dressed-- competence is so over-rated. It's so much easier to be an incompetent slob, because that way nobody thinks you're trying to be better than everyone else. That is the biggest sin because having actual skills damages the self-esteem of people who don't know anything.
dinotrac

Sep 14, 2009
11:29 AM EDT
TC --

Hey!! My self-esteem is very fragile.
gus3

Sep 14, 2009
3:56 PM EDT
Quoting:Just in time for the Embassy Ball Eliza learns to behave properly as well as to speak properly. The challenge she faces is increased, however, by the presence at the Ball of Nepommuck, a former pupil of Higgins' who speaks 32 languages and is acting as an interpreter for a "Greek diplomatist" who was in fact born the son of a Clerkenwell watchmaker and "speaks English so villainously that he dare not utter a word of it lest he betray his origin."

Mah teacherz lernt me t' talk English real good.
helios

Sep 14, 2009
11:00 PM EDT
Mah teacherz lernt me t' talk English real good

Lernt?.....must be a local dialect thing. The proper term is teacheded

h
tuxchick

Sep 14, 2009
11:12 PM EDT
I shake my head sadly and return to reading the OED for fun.
hkwint

Sep 15, 2009
3:45 AM EDT
Just wondering:

Is 'sunked' a valid past participle / English word? Some German put it on my drawing, but I think it's wrong.
caitlyn

Sep 15, 2009
4:14 AM EDT
Hans: No, definitely not.
jacog

Sep 15, 2009
4:44 AM EDT
Methinks I'll just head off to http://www.icanhascheezburger.com nao...er, now.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!