From the headline you'd believe...

Story: Botnet of Linux Servers with Dynamic IP DiscoveredTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
caitlyn

Sep 14, 2009
5:52 PM EDT
From the headline you'd almost believe that Linux might be as vulnerable to being part of the world wide botnet as Windows is. It turns out it isn't so. Poor security (passwords, management software) is the culprit and Linux is being used to infect Windows.
phsolide

Sep 14, 2009
5:59 PM EDT
But wait, didn't the original article speculate that Windows was used to infect linux? That system admins used the same Linux passwords as they used for FTP to/from Windows, and someone used those passwords to gain access to the mere hundreds of linux boxes?

One more thing to note: apparently, it's quite simple to detect what the "infection" is. An nginx web server listening on TCP port 8080. This is opposed to "web browser objects" loaded into IE, or those weird little modules you load into IIS, which are almost invisible. Even here, the simple basic design of linux makes things easier to figure out than the baroque design of windows.
gus3

Sep 14, 2009
6:15 PM EDT
"Baroque".

"Broke."

Coincidence? You decide.

Yeah, it's baroque, and it needs fixed.

Of course, Microsoft engineering and veterenarians both have the same definition of "fixed."
caitlyn

Sep 14, 2009
6:18 PM EDT
gus3: Baroque music is not broken. I seriously object to you slamming Bach, Vivaldi, Pachelbel, Telemann, Albinoni, Scarlatti, Monteverd, and many other fine composers.
tuxchick

Sep 14, 2009
7:03 PM EDT
I go for baroque all the time. Big risk-taker, me.
gus3

Sep 14, 2009
8:03 PM EDT
@caitlyn:

Vivaldi, Pachelbel, Albinoni: +1

Bach: +0.5

Telemann, Scarlatti: -1

Monteverd: Neutral

I'll take Verdi's generation any day, but that's just me. I don't expect others without my fine tastes to understand. ;-)
tracyanne

Sep 14, 2009
8:12 PM EDT
Robert Johnson, BB King, Buddy Guy, Sony Boy Williamson, Cripple Clarence Lofton, Blind Lemon Jeffereson, Alberta Hunter, Son House, Ma Rainy, John Lee Hooker.

Sorry ,they aren't barouque, they're Balues
gus3

Sep 14, 2009
9:07 PM EDT
@tracyanne:

No Sting? No Don Henley?

If you think they aren't blues singers, try listening to the "Leaving Las Vegas" soundtrack.
rijelkentaurus

Sep 14, 2009
9:16 PM EDT
@gus3, just because they're depressing doesn't mean they're blues singers.

*ducks*
tuxchick

Sep 14, 2009
9:41 PM EDT
Belues? Meh. Belugas rule. http://www.dolphinear.com/data/whale_songs.htm
gus3

Sep 14, 2009
10:00 PM EDT
@rj:

And just because they're blues singers, doesn't mean they're depressing. Viz. Weird Al Yankovic.
tracyanne

Sep 15, 2009
8:35 AM EDT
Did some one say Belugrass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxNcoIvCbJ8&feature=related
rijelkentaurus

Sep 15, 2009
12:46 PM EDT
@gus

Love some Weird Al, "In 3D" was played to death when I was a kid.
tuxchick

Sep 15, 2009
12:56 PM EDT
Boy howdy, that's some botnet, an astounding couple of hundred servers. My my my. Even worse, they have a Dynamic Internet Protocol. This sounds very bad, and proof that the windows fanbois are right.
bigg

Sep 15, 2009
1:01 PM EDT
Looks like we have a new astroturfer on our hands. Someone posting under the name "tuxchick" to throw us off. You may have tux in your name but that doesn't mean you use Linux.
kingttx

Sep 15, 2009
1:13 PM EDT
It sounds like some admins didn't run their Bastille. Shins, meet steel-toed boot.
gus3

Sep 15, 2009
5:06 PM EDT
@bigg:

Yeah, one of the girls in my senior class wore a tux to the prom. complete with top hat, cummerbund, and spats. Her outfit was sharper and snappier than all the guys' tuxedoes.

And I know she doesn't use Linux.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 16, 2009
2:17 PM EDT
> and many other fine composers.

PDQ Bach comes to mind.

Oh, you said "fine" composers. Sorry.
hkwint

Sep 16, 2009
4:51 PM EDT
Quoting:...than the baroque design of windows.

You people obviously were wrong about this being about music: Baroque refers to how the Cathedral named Windows was build. Solid, like rock. Like a Bastille. With some Windows in it to look at different believes, but not being able to reach those without leaving the Cathedral forever. But nobody wants to leave the Cathedral, because it's what runs er... I mean ran the LSE.

Linux, on the other hand, can collapse after any light breeze because it's only fabric tied with some thin lines to some unstable/untested frames only used by amateurs. And it could be broken up and taken elsewhere any minute. Meaning you can't trust it to still be there tomorrow. Nobody - or everybody owns it. That failure to provide a hierachy (of leaders, not of a filesystem!) could only lead to arguments and fights.

Well, at least you could break up the bazaar before the bots invade. Then the bots will happily attack the church.

Conclusion? Well, none, because it's all nonsense what I just wrote. Except for the LSE of course.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!