Well Said TC

Story: De-Programming Windows RefugeesTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
techiem2

Sep 15, 2009
1:56 PM EDT
You nailed it. All these silly people who have been told over and over and over that they shouldn't have to think or learn in order to use technology. *sigh*
moopst

Sep 15, 2009
3:47 PM EDT
Consistency could be used instead of intuitive. A rational approach and a consistent design can make computers "intuitive" to use.

Have you seen the Simpson's episode where Homer buys a computer? The salesman convinces him he should buy the $5,000 computer because the other ones are obsolete already. It seems like a good idea to Homer to drag it from the bumper rather than put it in the trunk of the car when he brings it home. And the first "intuitive" thing he does is pick up the mouse as if it's a microphone and say "Computer, kill Flanders!". Ten minutes later the computer is in the garbage can and Lisa rescues it. The rest of the episode has Homer discovering the Internet.
djohnston

Sep 15, 2009
6:47 PM EDT
Isn't that the "any key" episode?
helios

Sep 15, 2009
6:49 PM EDT
Someone a lot smarter than me said...and I paraphrase...

"those who don't understand technology will be controlled by those who do."

Today's average home computer (and many workforce computer users) are not users...they are limited task-set mouse clickers. If only they knew the power at their literal fingertips.

j
mrider

Sep 16, 2009
11:05 AM EDT
Quoting:Today's average home computer (and many workforce computer users) are not users...they are limited task-set mouse clickers.
Agreed. I think part of the problem is that most users "learn" Windows. This combined with the relative power of a regular user account in Windows means that a normal user really can break things easily. More than once I've helped end users who have rendered their computer virtually useless simply by accidentally having their mouse button down while moving it's cursor. Basically this caused important system files to be moved from their intended folder to a different place causing no end of harm.

It's really too bad that most current users "learned" a system with such shoddy file protection measures instead of a proper system. Personally, I'm enough of a klutz that it's nice knowing that I can't accidentally nuke my system. It's also nice knowing that a simple file copy of my home directory is sufficient to overcome any problem that might come along.

* I use quotes around "learn" and "learned", since it's really a matter of memorizing mouse clicks and key strokes rather than actual learning.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 16, 2009
11:34 AM EDT
> "those who don't understand technology will be controlled by those who do." Sadly, those who don't understand technology are usually upper management.
mrider

Sep 16, 2009
11:43 AM EDT
Quoting:Sadly, those who don't understand technology are usually upper management.
LOL.

And who also sadly don't seem to be controlled by anyone. :)
bigg

Sep 16, 2009
11:53 AM EDT
Sadly, those who are in charge of technology go to lunch with Microsoft sales reps.
gus3

Sep 16, 2009
11:55 AM EDT
Quoting:Sadly, those who are in charge of technology go to lunch with^W^W^W^WARE Microsoft sales reps.
Fixed.
softwarejanitor

Sep 16, 2009
12:21 PM EDT
@bigg & @gus3 It isn't the lunches where the deals are usually made, it is usually the golf course and the country club bar...
tuxchick

Sep 16, 2009
1:45 PM EDT
I thought hooter bars were where the real dealing takes place.
bigg

Sep 16, 2009
1:51 PM EDT
> I thought hooter bars were where the real dealing takes place.

For some reason, Ballmer looks like the kind of guy who would do deals in that setting.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 16, 2009
1:52 PM EDT
TC, that's Japanese style business.
helios

Sep 17, 2009
8:48 AM EDT
"I thought hooter bars were where the real dealing takes place."

I've never seen them there...

h
Bob_Robertson

Sep 17, 2009
8:53 AM EDT
> I've never seen them there...

Look up around eye level, might see more.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!