RE: What Good is Twitter?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Sep 17, 2009
2:26 PM EDT
This question was posed by a thread I cannot easily locate at the moment, however, perhaps an item I ran across, but will not cite so as not to begin with a possible TOS, will answer that burning question.

Look up the site: Stock Twits.

But let me warn you the actual item begins with the words:
Quoting:Satire is dead.
and ends with Monty Python's "Upper-class Twit of the Year" competition. Moreover, the last skit has permanently colored my view of class status. The original article that is so positively reported on this site appeared in the Financial Times.

YBT

Steven_Rosenber

Sep 17, 2009
3:12 PM EDT
Twitter's just an easy way to blog shortly and quickly. The reason I'm there (http://twitter.com/for_django) is that it has a huge number of users that's only growing because of all the attention its getting. It's a great way to link out to everything else I'm doing.

My struggle is to blog instead of tweet. Using Twitter is just too quick and easy, something blogging software just isn't as good at. I've considered cutting down on my use of categories and tags in my blog post just to speed things up, but I can't kick that habit.

All of that said, I think Twitter has its place, but devoting too much energy to it is unwise. It's just a part of what should be a much bigger whole.
techiem2

Sep 17, 2009
3:25 PM EDT
Actually I think it has prompted me to write more blog articles than before. :P

/me goes and follows Steven

Of course, identi.ca is better than twitter (and much geekier overall).
flufferbeer

Sep 17, 2009
8:53 PM EDT
@Steven_Rosenber, Yes, I agree that Twitter sure seems to be greatly overdone. For some people, it's already "gotta tweet this, gotta tweet that" ! I even think that some are learning to game the Twitter system quite well. 2c

Scott_Ruecker

Sep 17, 2009
9:16 PM EDT
Recently I have begun posting a link or two a day to a LXer newswire item on Twitter, I want to see if it really brings in more page views or not..
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 17, 2009
9:47 PM EDT
Scott, you should just feed Twitter with RSS out of LXer and get everything on there. I don't exactly know how we do it here http://twitter.com/ladailynews, but since it's broken and I'm supposed to fix it, I figure I'll find out. The app is something like "TwitterFeed," and should be easy to find.
tracyanne

Sep 17, 2009
10:07 PM EDT
these people seem to be using it in a way that makes sense to me

http://twitter.com/homelessnessNSW
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 17, 2009
10:28 PM EDT
The problem with that idea Steve is that our RSS is all direct links, it would drive zero traffic to LXer. I post links to the LXer page of the link so as to bring people to us. I am waiting to see if it works or not.
techiem2

Sep 17, 2009
10:44 PM EDT
Of the main problems (at least is seems like a problem to me) is that twitter defaults to a boring page wanting you to login if you aren't logged in, and to the page of your personal feed if you are logged in. Add to that the fact that I don't even see a link to the public timeline... ( http://twitter.com/public_timeline in case you didn't know)...

Identi.ca defaults to the public feed either way (but lets you see only your feed via identi.ca/user/all - accessible easily via the Home link), so your posts are more likely to be seen by someone not already following you.

flufferbeer

Sep 18, 2009
12:03 PM EDT
@techiem2, I agree with your point that Twitter "defaults to a boring page wanting you to login if you aren't logged in, and to the page of your personal feed if you are logged in". Seems to me that the whole service is a cross between running personal diaries and a Digg-like popularity contest sort-a-thing. And as a BTW, Digg itself is now tying in with Facebook to better attempt to draw our surfing-clicks when connecting with its stories-of-interest.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!