The problem with Vector Linux Light

Story: Tropic of Vector – a blog devoted to Vector Linux Light, plus the Vector Linux Cookbook of Common TasksTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
caitlyn

Sep 17, 2009
5:20 PM EDT
The problem for me with Vector Linux Light is the size fo the footprint. It runs well in as little as 64MB if you are selective about which apps you use and it can be pared down to run in as little as 32MB quite easily. It runs reasonably well on a 233MHz Pentium MMX I still have. What it doesn't do is fit in small spaces, like small SSD on some early or low end netbooks or the miniscule 2.1GB hard drive on my 11 year old Toshiba Libretto SS1010, a precursor of today's netbooks, just smaller. Trimming it down to size is a pain unless you remaster the iso on a more powerful machine to allow for installation in smaller spaces.

I do have VectorLinux Lite in one partition on my Toshiba Satellite 1805-S204, a nearly 7 year old 1GHz Celeron system with 512MB RAM, and it is very, very fast, as in faster than anything else I've tried, on that box. I though seriously about remastering Lite to create a mini version of VL once upon a time but never had the time to do it the right way.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 17, 2009
9:41 PM EDT
Caitlyn, I feel a bit cramped on the 3 GB drive in my 1999 Compaq Armada 7770dmt. Slackware without KDE almost maxes it out.

Recently I did a Debian Lenny minimal install and then added X, with the Xfce desktop and a few "choice" apps, and I'm still under 900 MB.
jdixon

Sep 18, 2009
1:58 PM EDT
> Slackware without KDE almost maxes it out.

If you install everything, yes. You don't have to do that. :)
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 18, 2009
7:55 PM EDT
The fact that you can go package by package and totally customize a Slackware installation is, in a way, pretty darn cool, but I can't imagine doing it on that basis: It'd take FOREVER. ... So I just zap out the KDE sets and do it that way.

It's not hard to see why Vector, Wolvix and ZenWalk are all Slackware derivatives that offer Xfce-focused distros (although Zenwalk and Vector have branched out considerably, the former with GNOME and the latter with KDE) because it's just too hard to optimize a Slackware box for Xfce.

gus3

Sep 19, 2009
11:22 AM EDT
You could also omit Emacs.

I still don't understand why Pat would include such a crufty old package....

/runs

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!