The difference between security marketing and reality is...

Story: Sometimes It Seems Like Unix(*) Needs to Learn from WindowsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
jhansonxi

Sep 27, 2009
11:54 PM EDT
publicly available source code. Without it you can claim anything you want. Only fools will listen.
phsolide

Sep 28, 2009
11:36 AM EDT
Consider the source of this article: the author, Alun Jones, is a mainstay in the "Windows Software Ecosystem". He's written, maintained and sold a Windows FTP server for years and years.

FTP servers have come *for free* with every Unix/linux/*BSD (that came with a TCP/IP stack) that I've ever used, since 1988. Why would one buy an add-on FTP server?

I see my paragraphs as an ad hominum argument, but still...
justintime

Sep 28, 2009
12:03 PM EDT
I see my paragraphs as an ad hominum argument, but still...

Exactly, your point is completely irrelevant.
tuxchick

Sep 28, 2009
12:04 PM EDT
phsolide, not 'ad hominum', but 'consider the source.'
gus3

Sep 28, 2009
12:52 PM EDT
Ad hominem is not always inappropriate.

Even if Charles Manson tells you the sun rises in the east, he's still completely untrustworthy.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 28, 2009
1:43 PM EDT
> publicly available source code. Without it you can claim anything you want. Only fools will listen.

A recent comment I read supporting Windows was, "Anyone can get the source code, so anyone can hack into it."

A complete reversal of reality, but for some reason that myth continues to be effective with some people to this day.
ABCC

Sep 28, 2009
2:27 PM EDT
Ugh, what silly arguments. Here's my selection of quotes:

"The *x systems I’ve seen seem to be built from the perspective that each system has its own attendant administrator, who is only too happy to manually deploy patches or tweak settings in line with some policy on a scrap of paper or post-it."

Hmm, as if scripting GUI-only configuration tools is easier than making templates of .conf files, is this guy serious? You'd assume as an MVP that he'd know a thing about GPO, AD, gpedit.msc and the like. A bit of familiarity with these tools should disavow you from the idea that Windows isn't very scalable. Perhaps his GPO knowledge is a bit flakely:

"I can even do that remotely, with remote registry editing from a script or group policy tattooing the registry."

The big 'featur'e of group policies is that a setting applied through gpo _doesn't_ tattoo the user and/or computers' registry. He's talking about NTconfig.pol, poledit and hand-written .adm files. You can still use those, since win2k there has been a better solution.Does MVP stand for Marginally Valuable Professional?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!