Sheesh

Story: Upgrading a Motherboard in Linux: Kernel PanicTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
PaulFerris

Oct 06, 2009
10:02 PM EDT
A real Linux person would have either booted from a flash drive and recompiled the kernel, or used a hex editor to change the necessary bytes one at a time from a rescue session.

:P

We love you Carla ;)

--Paul
gus3

Oct 06, 2009
10:06 PM EDT
She can't erase her thumb drive. It contains her plans for world domination.
techiem2

Oct 06, 2009
10:36 PM EDT
Who said anything about erasing the thumb drive? I keep both of mine (plus the recently-found-in-the-parts-stash 40GB laptop drive soon to be in a USB enclosure) setup to boot SystemRescueCD. :)
tuxchick

Oct 06, 2009
11:03 PM EDT
I use an elegant pinky drive. Thumb drives are for commoners.

There will be a followup, "Crocheting a New Kernel From Scratch." Gotta capture that craft-y demographic. Then for the "This Old House"-types, "Fixing Computers With a Hammer and Stove Bolts."

I love you too, Paulie :)
tracyanne

Oct 06, 2009
11:49 PM EDT
Damn, I'm a commoner.
caitlyn

Oct 07, 2009
12:57 AM EDT
I guess I'm common too. I have seen USB sticks (thumb drives) in all sorts of fashionable colors and designs so perhaps they are becoming less common.

Can't wait to insert them into the new HP netbook when it arrives and use what I've stored there to cause all sorts of havoc :)
gus3

Oct 07, 2009
2:00 AM EDT
Quoting:so perhaps they are becoming less common
"Less common"?

The #1 sign I saw of cell phones becoming "more common" is when I read about someone buying a new cell phone, with a "Hello Kitty" design on the shell.

Or:

Quoting:[Bob] Metcalfe went looking for a new Ethernet cable, strolling into an everyday American electronics retailer. "The woman at the cash register took me to a twenty-foot-wide wall filled with cables and said 'What color do you want?'"
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/metcalfe_remembers/
caitlyn

Oct 07, 2009
2:28 AM EDT
I meant common as in commoner. I was responding to tc. I guess any attempt at humor I made fell absolutely flat. Oh well...
dinotrac

Oct 07, 2009
7:06 AM EDT
Spaghetti hash. Yum.

In light of recent threads, I will resist temptations to cue up some nasal singer doing "Just like a woman", but...

A man -- a real man with hair on his chest and itch in his jock -- would have solved this problem more simply.

He would ditch the 64 studio and replaced it with Studio 54. With all the flashy lights and questionable substances that entails, he would have no kernel panic. OK -- he might have a kernel "Don't be a buzz kill, man!", but no panic, leastways, not til the next morning when he wakes up next to a very happy looking Saint Bernard and realizes that he's wearing a shirt with a collar that goes way out to here...
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 07, 2009
10:44 AM EDT
Your hilarious Dino..lol!
tuxchick

Oct 07, 2009
10:56 AM EDT
Stayin' alive, ah ah ah ah

LOL @dino :)
TxtEdMacs

Oct 07, 2009
11:07 AM EDT
psst ... dino

Are you a fiction writer or does this story arise from real world experience?

In any case, at least you kept it clean, since you did not mention waking up with a goat. That would have shut down this thread immediately!

YBT
dinotrac

Oct 07, 2009
11:21 AM EDT
Txt --

Fiction. The Saint Bernard was actually very disappointed. Kept muttering something about a chihuahua.
gus3

Oct 07, 2009
11:47 AM EDT
"I swear, officer, the b---- told me she was a beagle!"

/me ducks and runs like h*ll
dinotrac

Oct 07, 2009
11:52 AM EDT
You sure that isn't runs like "Heel!"?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!