If you follow the links

Story: Linux Foundation Rolls Out New Member BenefitsTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
tracyanne

Oct 13, 2009
8:48 AM EDT
You can end up here http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/blog-entry/bringing-linux-sma... a blog about Linux for Small to Medium Business. It introduces a Linux distro called ClearOS, supposedly a distro aimed at Small to Medium Businesses.

Once again what I see here is a Linux distribution that delivers little to nothing to Small businesses. Once again it's basically a web server, Domain Name server, and various other network technologies that don't really matter all that much to most Small businesses. It's not even a desktop solution.

It seems to me that the people who are building Small Business Linux "solutions', are completely of touch with what Small businesses need. If any of the small businesses in my area came to me for a linux solution, and they asked me about ClearOS, it'd have to say 'nothing to see here, move along please"
Sander_Marechal

Oct 13, 2009
8:57 AM EDT
So, what *would* you put into an SMB server?
gus3

Oct 13, 2009
10:40 AM EDT
(N.B.: "SMB" in this case refers to Small-to-Medium Businesses, not the crap Windows network protocol.)
hkwint

Oct 13, 2009
3:05 PM EDT
Quoting:So, what *would* you put into an SMB server?

Well, does such a "single configuration" exist that you can please all SMB's in first place?
Bob_Robertson

Oct 13, 2009
3:56 PM EDT
I don't think it's a matter of a "single configuration".

A set of services, each as easy to configure as possible for the use of a group.

Email service like webmail, forwarding, lists, calendar "groupware", file server configurable for groups and individuals, internal and external facing web server(s), proxy server, ISP gateway/router, etc etc etc.

Easily handled in a single Linux system, but each subsystem is its own application so it has to be configured separately. The "service" is to make it possible for someone to sit down who isn't a computer professional, and get them working well enough.
tracyanne

Oct 13, 2009
4:36 PM EDT
Quoting:So, what *would* you put into an SMB server?

That's my point sander. They keep on building servers.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 13, 2009
4:44 PM EDT
What would you build then?
jdixon

Oct 13, 2009
5:06 PM EDT
> What would you build then?

Which do small businesses use more of, servers or desktops?

Given the rather obvious answer to that question, why not attempt to address both needs instead of just one?
tracyanne

Oct 13, 2009
5:06 PM EDT
Desktops, with applications that replace the proprietary ones they keep getting sold. Most small businesses, in my experience have no need for or interest in a server.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 13, 2009
5:46 PM EDT
> Most small businesses, in my experience have no need for or interest in a server.

The same reasoning applies.

PCLinuxOS Business Edition?
Sander_Marechal

Oct 14, 2009
4:58 AM EDT
I don't know TracyAnne. A server quickly becomes useful for e-mail and file sharing as soon as there is more than one employee with a computer.
tracyanne

Oct 14, 2009
6:36 AM EDT
To you maybe, to me maybe, but I've met small business owners with two or three employees who are quite happy not having a server of any brand (you couldn't sell them a Windows SMB server, and they think Windows is all there is), not having their own Email server or file server or anything like that. In fact they don't want to be bothered dealing with that sort of thing.

Some computers networked with an ADSL connection to their ISP, who also supplies their email account, and they are quite happy.

Yes some decent Linux SMB servers with ultra simple set up is good, Linux pre installed and all the server applications already set up is great. A decent desktop Linux with a raft of business applications would be the next best thing to sliced bread. the desktop with Linux poered devices that communicate back to the desktop would be heaven.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!