My Response to that is

Story: I'll Use Linux When $App Magically AppearsTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
tracyanne

Oct 13, 2009
9:36 PM EDT
I won'r us $app because it doesn't support Linux. I also write to $app developers.
jdixon

Oct 13, 2009
9:47 PM EDT
> I also write to $app developers.

Been there, done that. You can see how well Intuit listens. :(
tracyanne

Oct 13, 2009
10:07 PM EDT
yep, and every other proprietary software developer.

We need to have every Linux user flood them with emails on a regular basis.
jdixon

Oct 14, 2009
6:17 AM EDT
> We need to have every Linux user flood them with emails on a regular basis.

In my experience, simply not buying their products speaks louder than email.
tracyanne

Oct 14, 2009
6:26 AM EDT
I'm not sure about that JD. Lots of people don't buy any number of products from any number of manufacturers for any number of reasons, It's unlikely that they are going to know I'm not buying their product, because of lack of Linux support, unless I tell them.
tracyanne

Oct 14, 2009
6:45 AM EDT
I'm thinking about buying this

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad 2.0 GHz Processor Q9000 64 bit 6M Cache 1066Mhz 45nm Display : 15.4" WUXGA+ (1920x1200) TFT LCD Cristal Bright Screen Graphics : nVidia GeForce Go GTX 260M 1G DDR3 PCI Express Graphics NB Memory : 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 RAM 2.5" Hard Drive : 500GB 5,400RPM Serial-ATA Hard Drive HD Partition : Single Partition (I'll actually rebuild it with (root, swap, home) Internal Optical Drive : 8x DVD-/+RW Dual Layer Drive Integrated Options : 802.11B/G Wireless Module Integrated Options : 2M Pixel Build in Camera free Operating System (with Recovery Disk) : Ubuntu Linux OS Pre-loaded
jdixon

Oct 14, 2009
6:56 AM EDT
> It's unlikely that they are going to know I'm not buying their product, because of lack of Linux support, unless I tell them.

Oh, I told them.
viator

Oct 14, 2009
10:07 AM EDT
There should be a central database that all distros package managers can report to when a user cant find an app in their repos that fits their needs also all apps should have a built in feature request feature. Wich would help us to build open source apps that meet the demands of our users and at the same time UNDERCUT the closed apps developers that wont make a version for linux. And im sick and tired of people saying linux users wont pay for things. I have paid and will pay for good software especially if it does something i cant find anywhere else (fills a niche)
tracyanne

Oct 14, 2009
4:36 PM EDT
@viator, that is an interesting idea. Perhaps it is something that one can try to sell to the Distributors.

Yes Linux users will pay for good software. I used to pay for every copy of Mandrake/Mandriva I used. I was a Powerpack user for about 6 or 7years.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 14, 2009
4:44 PM EDT
Quoting:all apps should have a built in feature request feature.

Doing it for all apps is a dumb idea (duplicity, bloat) and will never work. Instead, you want a single app that you can use to report a feature request against any package/app. These already exist, such as Gnome Bug Buddy and Debian reportbug. Remember, feature request are bugs too!
tracyanne

Oct 14, 2009
4:50 PM EDT
Now all we have to do is re-educate ourselves, and all other users to remember to load a bug reporting application, so we can report Feature requests. But yes Sander is correct, that is the nature of such tools. The problem is, I think, most of us see them from the perspective of here's a bug (as in something broke), it needs to be reported, but tend to forget the feature request side of things.

Then there is the issue of new applications, as suggested by viator, how do you do that through a bug reporting system, when the project doesn't exist?
kingttx

Oct 14, 2009
4:50 PM EDT
Ah, but what do you tell purists that have a fit once an app IS ported to Linux yet remains closed/proprietary?
tracyanne

Oct 14, 2009
4:53 PM EDT
@kingttx, you tell them, "then don't use it"
gus3

Oct 14, 2009
6:42 PM EDT
File it as a bug.

Remember, the very first bug filed against the Mozilla suite was, "Mozilla is not the most-used browser." It had nothing to do with code or behavior. Sadly, it's gone now.
jezuch

Oct 15, 2009
2:10 AM EDT
Quoting:Now all we have to do is re-educate ourselves, and all other users to remember to load a bug reporting application, so we can report Feature requests.

That's why, AFAIR, OpenOffice.org stopped calling them "bugs" and calls them "issues" instead, since, like, 7 years ago, or something? I think there are some more of these renegades out there...
tracyanne

Oct 15, 2009
7:41 AM EDT
Any suggestions on new application requests should be handled.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 15, 2009
10:25 AM EDT
@tracyanne: Track them, count them and forward them to a bounty database?
hkwint

Oct 16, 2009
3:28 PM EDT
Quoting:Remember, feature request are bugs too!

Ah, you mean I can file a bug @AD that AutoCAD doesn't work on Linux? That would be brilliant! Uhm, I mean, if they fix the bug.

Nope, I think something like IdeaStorm is better for feature requests. Look how many people asked for 'no OS' or Linux on Dell (100k), and how many people file bugs for Ubuntu (surprise me with statistics, cause I dunno!) That's why Ubuntu has its own Ideastorm (brainstorm) right now I guess.

I'm not sure why, but it probably has something to do with most people not thinking of their own "ideas" as "bugs".

Probably it's only a name issue. Rename Gnome Bug Buddy to Gnome Ideastorm (if Dell and the judges allow that) and it will probably attract more attention.
tracyanne

Oct 16, 2009
6:16 PM EDT
Quoting:Ah, you mean I can file a bug @AD that AutoCAD doesn't work on Linux?

In this case not a bad idea. In fact, I think, we should do that to all Proprietary companies that have something we want that doesn't support Linux. We should, probably, also file those as ideas on a bounty database, or something similar in case a Free Software developer wants to start a project.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!