Great Free Tip

Story: I'll Use Linux When $App Magically AppearsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
bigg

Oct 14, 2009
9:54 AM EDT
Quoting:Free tip: Nobody cares if you use Linux/FOSS. Use it, don't use, just please spare us the windy blather.

That should be posted at the top of every newbie help forum. They threaten us, "If I can't get this to work, I'm going back to Windows." That's not a threat to me, it's a threat to the poster.

As for this quote, though

Quoting:Try Web surfing dozens of different sites without Flash-- it might shock you how much the modern Web depends on dratted Flash.

I do often surf the web without Flash installed, I see how popular Flash is, and it's almost always a better experience without Flash.
techiem2

Oct 14, 2009
10:17 AM EDT
How true on both accounts.

I DESPISE flash. Sure, it's fun for web videos and such, but there's obviously better ways (like embedded ogg/theora....). That and the fact that 64bit flash is horribly unstable for me (and has a habit of taking down FF with it) so I have to resort to using opera for several flash-needing sites (like Hulu).....
bigg

Oct 14, 2009
10:31 AM EDT
> there's obviously better ways (like embedded ogg/theora....).

It's shocking to me how much better the embedded theora videos are in Firefox 3.5 compared to Flash.
gus3

Oct 14, 2009
1:24 PM EDT
s/better/bigger/

(although not like it used to be)
jezuch

Oct 15, 2009
2:02 AM EDT
Quoting:Try Web surfing dozens of different sites without Flash-- it might shock you how much the modern Web depends on dratted Flash.

I have swfdec plugin installed and I never actually needed to turn it on (the videos start as disabled, gray boxes, you have to explicitly start them). But maybe it's the sites I visit...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!