A clear violation of Disney's copyright

Story: Hannah Montana LinuxTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
caitlyn

Oct 22, 2009
3:30 PM EDT
This is a clear violation of Disney's copyright on the Hannah Montana character. I hope they successfully sue this out of existence.
jdixon

Oct 22, 2009
4:24 PM EDT
> This is a clear violation of Disney's copyright on the Hannah Montana character.

All they have to do is claim they're images of Miley Cyrus and they're in the clear. Now, Miley would have a complaint then, since they're (probably) using her image without permission, but I don't know if she'd push the matter or not.
caitlyn

Oct 22, 2009
5:59 PM EDT
Since they are using the Hannah Montana name it's clearly up to Disney to fight it.
hkwint

Oct 22, 2009
7:25 PM EDT
Wow, that's so short sighted it actually surprises me.

Why would they fight it? It's just another form of free merchandise Disney didn't need to pay anything for. If they'd have to come up with their own Linux distro, it would cost them.

Actually, Disney is one of the greatest fans of Linux. Lots of their movies are made using Linux, and if Linux was not available those movies would have cost them millions more. Apart from not being able to control their own systems.

Why wouldn't Disney cooperate to market HM Linux (don't use the ampersand in between the two chars!) ? HM would be the first moviestar to have an own distro, gaining even more attention. Even from people like me who never bothered to watch HM.
jdixon

Oct 22, 2009
7:53 PM EDT
> Why would they fight it?

Disney has a couple of copyrighted items for which the early copyright is... uhm... questionable. Perhaps to compensate for this, they are extremely (some might say overly) vigilant in policing their copyrights. Of course, since Disney was largely the company behind the recent expansion of the copyright laws in the US, I have little respect for their copyrights myself.

Your correct that they would need to change the names used, Caitlyn, but if they do that, all they have to do is deal with Miley, not Disney.
aronzak

Oct 22, 2009
8:50 PM EDT
"If they'd have to come up with their own Linux distro, it would cost them." No, no it wouldn't. The main thing that's changed is the desktop background, plus maybe a grub image or gdm theme. That's half an hour's work for an intern, tops.

As to Miley Cyrus, I don't think she would care either that all of 2 people have downloaded this.

Does nobody get that this is a joke? In fact, is it even a version of linux, or just a single image like ubuntu satanic edition?
montezuma

Oct 22, 2009
9:13 PM EDT
Yeah I got that it was a joke. That's why I submitted it. Oh well.
tuxchick

Oct 22, 2009
10:04 PM EDT
Did you hear the one about the Linux geek?

That's not funny!
caitlyn

Oct 22, 2009
11:15 PM EDT
I got that it was a joke but... they do have a download link that seems to work.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 23, 2009
12:19 AM EDT
Linux is what you make it, so let's make it right ... everybody now ...

(only people with sub-10-year-old girls at home will get this, and that is how it should be)
dinotrac

Oct 23, 2009
11:39 AM EDT
>why would they fight it?

You guys are talking copyrights, but I'll bet some of this stuff is trademarked, too.

If it is trademarked, Disney has little choice but to fight because trademark is a "Use it or lose it" proposition. If they don't defend, the trademarks become worthless.
caitlyn

Oct 23, 2009
2:19 PM EDT
@dino: Excellent point.
hkwint

Oct 23, 2009
7:05 PM EDT
So if I understand this correctly Disney has to fight this even while this is a joke? Hmm, well, that sounds like a fun joke to me!

Quoting:"If they'd have to come up with their own Linux distro, it would cost them." No, no it wouldn't.

Actually I was a bit lost in the recent discussion, but AFAIK everyone doing a Linux-distribution has to make sure source code is available, at the same source where the Linux distribution can be downloaded. Or something along these lines, so that's why I thought having an own Linux-distro would be expensive. Creating a theme though, no, that doesn't sound expensive.
gus3

Oct 23, 2009
7:40 PM EDT
Not that I care one way or the other in this case, but in addition to trademark is "trade dress."

http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20081012134419...

Desktop themes probably fall under this as well.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 25, 2009
2:53 PM EDT
> Did you hear the one about the Linux geek? > That's not funny!

First time I heard that was "Caitlyn Decided This Two Decades Old Joke Was Directed At Her So I Have Deleted It."

> trademark

Very, very good point.

Would it suffice, do you think, if Disney gave them permission? Any down-side?
caitlyn

Oct 25, 2009
2:55 PM EDT
Offensive TOS violation in spades.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!