For real???

Story: Hannah Montana LinuxTotal Replies: 47
Author Content
flufferbeer

Oct 22, 2009
3:48 PM EDT
I think this could be a farce. OTOH, if this possibly at all could become true, then maybe it's to attract more teens to IT?? Just a guess...

One confusing aspect here is that HML looks alot like HTML; the standard web markup language. Maybe the person choosing this Hannah Montana Linux could have better chosen another distro name like HannaMontananix, Hamonix or something else a wee bit more UNIX-like ? Dunnno...

Whatever the case, are we going to see more distro names such as Obamanix, Stallmanix or *ix names named after other renown personalities??? -fb
Bob_Robertson

Oct 22, 2009
4:55 PM EDT
> Stallmanix

GNU/Hurd

> named after other renown personalities???

I don't see why not. Using the likenesses of "celebrities" is very much a fair-use, the trade off of fame and fortune, so long as they're not selling the images or claiming to be "official".

Ron Paul Linux! Free, as in FREEDOM! I'll get to work on it right away.
montezuma

Oct 22, 2009
5:38 PM EDT
Ha I knew it was you Bob!

Every second wire support on the George Washington suspension bridge has a Ron Paul sticker on it! Don't deny it!
Bob_Robertson

Oct 22, 2009
5:39 PM EDT
> Don't deny it!

I didn't do it, I was no where near NYC.

But the GWB is beautiful, isn't it.
montezuma

Oct 22, 2009
5:43 PM EDT
Yeah spectacular especially with the Palisades in the distance.
caitlyn

Oct 22, 2009
6:01 PM EDT
Hannah Montana is not a real person. It is a fictional character played by Miley Cyrus and owned by Disney. This will likely get shot down as it is a clear copyright violation.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 22, 2009
6:02 PM EDT
My daughter -- she's 6 -- is a big Hannah Montana fan. But she runs Ubuntu Hardy w/ Hello Kitty wallpaper. I guess you could call it Ubuntu Hello Kitty.
gus3

Oct 22, 2009
6:06 PM EDT
Ohayo Neko Linux?
pastored

Oct 23, 2009
12:33 AM EDT
I have to admit... I showed this to my 12 year old daughter, and she thought it was COOL.

(I think I'll just recreate the wallpaper for her, and let her continue running the version of Linux she runs now...)
tuxchick

Oct 23, 2009
12:35 AM EDT
I'm an old phart anyway who doesn't get all this stuff. When I was a little girl I wanted a My Little Attack Stallion and a machine gun.
gus3

Oct 23, 2009
1:25 AM EDT
@TC:

My ex got a Barbie for her 10th birthday. Two weeks later, it was hanging by a noose from her ceiling fan.

She knew the fastest way to a man's heart: straight through the ribcage with a really sharp knife.
jezuch

Oct 23, 2009
2:14 AM EDT
When me and my brother were younglings, we build cities from wooden blocks, populated them with Lego people and then bounced a rubber ball off the ceiling to simulate "lightning strikes". We then counted casualties and calculated damage.
caitlyn

Oct 23, 2009
2:18 AM EDT
Quoting:She knew the fastest way to a man's heart: straight through the ribcage with a really sharp knife.

Sometimes going slow is a lot more fun...
lqsh

Oct 23, 2009
11:42 AM EDT
it is real.. see screenshots: [url=http://www.seoexpertconsultants.com/index.php?linux&release=Hannah Montana v1]http://www.seoexpertconsultants.com/index.php?linux&release=...[/url]
vainrveenr

Oct 23, 2009
2:58 PM EDT
Quoting:it is real.. see screenshots: [HYPERLINK@www.seoexpertconsultants.com
Also see its SourceForge Downloads site, http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/Site/Downloads.html

Now even a SONG on this???!!!
Quoting: Oh yeah Boot up You get the GUI out front Hottest styles, every theme, every color Yeah, when you're root it can be kinda fun As long as your password is never discovered In some ways you're just like all your friends But on the internetz you're a star You get the best of both OS,s Run Windows, take it slow Then Linux rocks out the show You get the best of both OS,s Mix it all together and you know that it's the best of both OS,s The best of both OS,s You go to software premiers (is that Linus Torvalds?) Hear songs on Pandora radio Bootin' two OS,s is a little weird (yeah) But tech support's cool cuz nobody knows Yeah you get to be a Windows loser But big time when you sudo You get the best of both OS,s Run Windows, take it slow Then Linux rocks out the show You get the best of both OS,s Mix it all together and you know that it's the best of both (You know the best) You know the best of both OS,s Pictures and videos You get your face in all the social networks The best parts that you get to run whatever software you wanna run Yeah the best of both You get the best of both Come on best of both Who would of thought that a loser like me Would double as a Linux rock star You get the best of both OS,s Run Windows, take it slow Then Linux rocks out the show You get the best of both OS,s Mix it all together and you know that it's the best, You get the best of both OS,s Without the viruses and malware You can surf anywhere You get the best of both systems Mix it all together Oh yeah It's so much better cuz you know you've got the best of both OS,s
(from http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/Site/Song.html )

Wonder what Miley Cyrus thinks of all this??

gus3

Oct 23, 2009
4:09 PM EDT
Whatever Disney's lawyers tell her to.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 25, 2009
2:54 PM EDT
> Whatever Disney's lawyers tell her to.

As explicitly directed in her contract, signed in blood no doubt.
caitlyn

Oct 25, 2009
3:00 PM EDT
Considering who her father is I am certain the contract that was negotiated was more than fair to her. I'm also quite certain it was signed voluntarily, by her parents as well, and made her one very rich young lady. I wouldn't worry about Miley Cyrus' contract.

I also would point out that Disney did a wonderful job of marketing the Hannah Montana character and making it and Miley Cyrus famous, They deserve their profits as well.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 25, 2009
3:06 PM EDT
It seems that if I said "the sky is blue" today, Caitlyn would jump up to contradict it.

caitlyn

Oct 25, 2009
3:17 PM EDT
Only if you say things that are incorrect.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 25, 2009
3:24 PM EDT
> Only if you say things that are incorrect.

Hahaha, then I have to wonder why that "joke" didn't have your full support.
TxtEdMacs

Oct 25, 2009
5:21 PM EDT
Quoting:It seems that if I said "the sky is blue" today, Caitlyn would jump up to contradict it.
Well let me handle that task: no, actually it was nearly black the first time I went out today. Thus, your conjecture lacks universal validity. Moreover, yesterday we were hit by a tropical front bringing rain at a varying rate through out the day and a uniform pallor in the sky's coloration. The heat was oppressive, I had to turn the furnace off, surely even at night the temperature felt to be well into the seventies*. Though with the humidity it felt like eighty or more to me.

Later in the day it, I must admit it was brighter. Nonetheless, my eyes were focused mainly on the variety of leaf coloration and trying to avoid unintended collisions in traffic. Therefore, I cannot even lend tepid support to your conjecture with personal observation. The best I can do is say, you might be right some of the time. However, that is a weak pillar to stake your reputation, since the same may be said of a broken clock.

Anyone else available whose self worth needs destruction? At your service,

YBT

* Maxed out at 72.
flufferbeer

Oct 27, 2009
5:17 PM EDT
I know it's as silly as can be what with all this Disney contract-legalese that caitlyn emphasizes, but now that this Hannah Montana Linux distro seems to be for real, I think it would be great if Miley Cyrus herself & friends know more about about this. This could even make Miley look better with her teen and pre-teen techie fans, such as Steven_Rosenber's and pastored's daughters.

@caitlyn, what do your kids (or does your kid, singular) think of Hannah Montana and this *new* HML, assuming that they're somewhere in age between pre-teen to college-age?? -fb

EDIT: Oooooo, would have to take the last paragraph back. Obviously no children.... no literal kids at least, as opposed to figurative "children".
helios

Oct 28, 2009
9:42 AM EDT
So why stop with Hanna Montana Linux? (warning - morbid humor ahead)

John Lennon Linux (LennonLinux?) - Instant Karmic Linux

Manson Linux - Gives a whole new meaning to the terminal command "killall"

Calista Flockheart Linux - Best used as a thin client

Danny Devito Linux - The perfect Gnome environment

OK...from here it gets really ugly...someone stop me before I even offend myself...

h

Sander_Marechal

Oct 28, 2009
10:13 AM EDT
Lenix, because FOSS is communism, right? ;-)
gus3

Oct 28, 2009
11:17 AM EDT
Stalinux!

BTW, helios, "Instant Karma" was an episode of House a couple weeks ago.

House Linux? Cranky, arrogant, smug? Nah, that sounds more like RedmondOS. Although, if current trends continue...
caitlyn

Oct 28, 2009
2:19 PM EDT
Some in the Linux community make House look like a real sweetheart, I'm sorry to say.
gus3

Oct 28, 2009
2:28 PM EDT
I'm talking about the installed system, not the people building it.
caitlyn

Oct 28, 2009
3:04 PM EDT
Quoting:Stalinux!

You could find some more up-to-date monsters to use:

Osamanix Bashirix

...and so on.

Quoting:I'm talking about the installed system, not the people building it.

Which is good, because I'd hate to rely on dead people like Stalin to build a system.

I actually was referring to the "fairytale" thread and some in our user community rather than developers.
flufferbeer

Oct 28, 2009
5:24 PM EDT
gus3, > Stalinux! > House Linux?

Then I'm guessing a Milosevix and a Karadzix too? There could be a Matejicix distro from the same corner of Europe, but I think he prefers that this to be known as Slax Linux. -fb
hkwint

Oct 29, 2009
12:42 PM EDT
Λινυξ - that's what I'd like.
hkwint

Oct 29, 2009
12:48 PM EDT
Or when you work in IT and someone asks you about your job, you point them to Michael Jackson Linux and say: This is IT.
gus3

Oct 29, 2009
2:09 PM EDT
@hans:

I think you mean Λινουξ.

Edit: WTH? It previewed fine, but then it dropped in a bunch of question marks when I posted?

Anyway, Hans, you need an omicron before the ypsilon, to make it sound like the vowel in "blue".
Sander_Marechal

Oct 29, 2009
5:47 PM EDT
@gus: Looks like you found a forum bug! Can you tell me what you did exactly? Then I can make a bug report for Bob.
gus3

Oct 29, 2009
6:35 PM EDT
I copy/pasted Hans's Greek text, then edited it. I was not using HTML entities.

I see I can use HTML entities for the initial entry, but Preview converts them to straight Unicode.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 29, 2009
8:15 PM EDT
Test: Λινυξ
Sander_Marechal

Oct 29, 2009
8:19 PM EDT
There appears to be a discrepancy between preview and submit. I can preview over and over again without error. My best guess is a character encoding problem in the database. It's probably trying to convert to the wrong charset when returning results.
penguinist

Oct 31, 2009
1:42 AM EDT
Λινυξ ρυΛσ
gus3

Oct 31, 2009
1:45 AM EDT
@penguinist:

You're so 1337!
penguinist

Oct 31, 2009
4:02 AM EDT
θανκσ
Sander_Marechal

Oct 31, 2009
4:45 AM EDT
Test: Λινυξ ρυΛσ
Sander_Marechal

Oct 31, 2009
4:47 AM EDT
Bob fixed it :-) The above test was copy/pasted from penguinist's post. Any character not in Latin-1 is now converted to HTML entities before the post is saved.
gus3

Oct 31, 2009
11:49 AM EDT
Did someone try to fix my original reply, or did it magically re-appear after the charset fix?

What I originally said to Hans was, I think you want Λινουξ. Otherwise, you're calling it "lee-neeks".
hkwint

Oct 31, 2009
3:58 PM EDT
Quoting:@gus: Looks like you found a forum bug!

In fact, I found this out many months ago (maybe years?), when trying to post greater than / less than signs, but I didn't think it could be fixed.

But I'm sorry I derailed yet another topic. Especially when discussing Hannah Montana, I think it would be far more interesting to stay on topic that all this nerd talk about HTML escape sequences and fixing bugs in forums.

Problem is, I never took the time to watch any Hannah Montana. All I know about Montana is that there's probably snow over there. And all I know about Hannah (the one I know) is that she lives in The Hague. So I don't understand this topic anyway. But that normally doesn't make people refrain from commenting on Linux forums, so why would I?
hkwint

Oct 31, 2009
4:08 PM EDT
Speakin' 'bout IP: Someone alleges the idea of HM was stolen by Disney.

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/b56013_roundhouse_blow_hannah...

Can't find the outcome of that case.
gus3

Oct 31, 2009
4:31 PM EDT
It wouldn't be the first time.

Viz. Steamboat Willie and The Lion King.
caitlyn

Oct 31, 2009
4:39 PM EDT
Or Witch Mountain vs. Zenna Henderson's Pilgrimage and The People: No Different Flesh.
jdixon

Oct 31, 2009
7:37 PM EDT
> The Lion King.

Yeah, the Lion King is a direct rip off of Kimba the White Lion. Right down to copying the name.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!