This is getting a lot of discussion...

Story: An Amazing Coincidence or Something More Sinister?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
caitlyn

Oct 24, 2009
3:57 PM EDT
This is getting a lot of discussion in LinuxToday and, shockingly, the vast majority of comments are clueful. In another thread Sander said this really is an amazing coincidence. More like unbelievable... I really, really, really would like to know what discussions took place between Microsoft and HP. Sadly they will likely never be made public.
jdixon

Oct 24, 2009
11:27 PM EDT
> I really, really, really would like to know what discussions took place between Microsoft and HP.

Microsoft: Do this or else. HP: Yes sir, sir.

HP's support of Linux has always been well hidden and half hearted.
caitlyn

Oct 24, 2009
11:36 PM EDT
@jdixon: I agree with you. They support it on servers and business systems because their customers demand it, not because they want to. I though that would change back when they hired Bruce Perens but I was wrong.

BTW, while they did kill Mi and drop Linux from their consumer netbook line it turns out you can still by an older HP Mini 5101 preloaded with SLED if you want to fork over in excess of $500. It's well hidden on their business website and Linux is listed as "alternate OS", not by name. If you click on "alternate OS" you are informed that HP recommends Windows but that they OS is SLED. Thanks, but no thanks!
Sander_Marechal

Oct 25, 2009
7:37 AM EDT
Quoting:Microsoft: Do this or else. HP: Yes sir, sir.

Where the "else" is OEM volume discounts evaporating.
jdixon

Oct 25, 2009
11:10 AM EDT
> Where the "else" is OEM volume discounts evaporating.

I doubt they had to say that, Sander. HP's well used to the drill by now.
hkwint

Oct 25, 2009
4:26 PM EDT
Probably this was planned from the beginning: Microsoft consented only to the OEMs offering XP and Linux as long as Win7 wasn't there. Or am I paraniod?
Sander_Marechal

Oct 25, 2009
4:50 PM EDT
Apparently MS still allows shipping XP on low-end netbooks.

Remember, Win7 is just as slow as Vista. It only "feels" faster. They made the UI more responsive but the actual number crunching is just as slow, if not slower. Win7 runs on netbooks just as poorly as Vista does. Why do you think that MS is redefining what a netbook is? Why do you think netbooks are getting more and more powerful (and more expensive)?

The only reason why people aren't complaining about Win7 being a big resource hog is because in the three years since Vista was foisted on the people, computers have gotten faster. Moore's law has run another two iterations.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!