That's odd.

Story: Ubuntu "Stick" Blues - or USB for shortTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
DigitaLink

Oct 30, 2009
11:36 AM EDT
Just last night I downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix, downloaded UNetBootin, backed up the data on the microSD card from my cell phone to an SD card in the 2nd card reader slot, had UNetBootin' set up the microSD through a USB adapter, and booted my Aspire One Netbook into Karmic with ZERO problems!

Ran like a top, so I installed it, and then fired all my phone data back onto the microSD and went to bed.

I can't see why the desktop version wouldn't work just as easily ... the other option would be just to install UNR and change some packages to get the standard desktop instead of the netbook interface. Although, to tell you the truth, I really like the netbook interface. That's slick as heck and very functional! I'm not sure how much I'll actually boot into Windows 7 now. For the limited range of apps I actually run on the pocket wonder, UNR is probably going to be all I need!

Was really impressed at how seamlessly it picked up not only my wifi, but the whole process of connecting was easier than Windows was too. Sleep and wake times beat the pants of 7 too. Hibernate works flawlessly. It's very polished!!
caitlyn

Oct 30, 2009
12:11 PM EDT
The desktop version does work equally well with unetbootin... for most of us, I don't discount the author's issues. They're real. Perhaps it would be better to try and troubleshoot why they happened rather than lament them and claim the whole thing just doesn't work.

In fairness, Linux distros (and operating systems in general) do produce different results on different hardware.
hkwint

Oct 30, 2009
2:57 PM EDT
Thanks for the suggestion of trying the Netbook Remix, DigitaLink. I didn't thought of that option yet, otherwise I'd have definitely tried just that. I have my doubts about why Ubuntu just can't provide a 'one fits all' distribution which you can configure for KDE, Gnome or Netbook, but that's a whole other discussion.

Quoting:Perhaps it would be better to try and troubleshoot why they happened rather than lament them and claim the whole thing just doesn't work.

No, not perhaps, that's for sure, and I admit I'm to blame.

The problem is I wasn't prepared to do troubleshooting when I started. Later I did some troubleshooting by searching for errors on the web. That's how I found out about the try-cdrom/detect-usb, bulletproof X and the things like that. I couldn't find any people who had the '/dev/fb0 missing' error in combination with Kubuntu 9.10 and the nv driver. And please don't forget I'm using unetbootin on a distro where it's not marked as 'stable' yet. Also, when a system just 'hangs' without error message or log to read, there's not much troubleshooting someone can do.

Obviously, I was a bit angry after this whole experience, which is probably why this article looks like I'm blaming people while I didn't really intend to. I'm glad of the efforts they did. I'm just disappointed that my experience wasn't as good and the process wasn't as easy as advertized - and experienced by most other users. I feel like maybe I did something wrong or have some peculiar setup, but I just can't find why all this doesn't work out of the box for me while it does for others.

Maybe a nVidia 6600LE card can be considered 'old' hardware (I don't consider it old), but I always thought 'Linux' ran great on older hardware. But I'm pretty dependent on nVidia and it's willingness to support my 'old' card in newer drivers. Anyway, most of the times I try a Linux LiveCD it just doesn't boot X out of the box on my setup, and that's disappointing.

Apart from that, the 1680x1050 monitor I just bought might also be a bit of a problem, but my monitor is happy to display 4:3 output (stretched) as well.
jdixon

Oct 30, 2009
4:52 PM EDT
> I have my doubts about why Ubuntu just can't provide a 'one fits all' distribution which you can configure for KDE, Gnome or Netbook

I'm pretty sure you can configure the default Ubuntu install for any of the above, but most people don't want to take the time/effort. It's simpler for them to download a new iso.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!