Outdated

Story: If Windows, Linux and OSX Opened Cafes...Total Replies: 3
Author Content
caitlyn

Nov 07, 2009
8:09 PM EDT
With systems preloaded with Linux readily available the idea that you have to make or brew your own is just plain outdated. The idea that everything is donated by the patrons is also way off base. The big Linux distros all have corporate backing. This really doesn't represent Linux at all.

I did notice that this is in the OSX forum, so I assume it's an Apple commercial or just written by someone who hasn't used a current Linux system. Pity.

Oh, and yes, I added my comment to the original article.
tuxchick

Nov 08, 2009
2:14 AM EDT
Outdated and silly. But I'll play anyway. Linux is no cafe, it is a giant food bazaar populated by dozens of vendors, and customers from all over-- rich, poor, hippie dippy, business dress, and everything else you can think of. Something for everyone.
gus3

Nov 08, 2009
2:31 AM EDT
The article's description of the Linux Cafe is not far off from Richard Couture's CoffeeNet in San Francisco back in the day. It had a "hole in the wall" aspect to it, but that brought with it ZERO corporate influence. The nerdy camaraderie was fantastic.

http://www.imat.com/coffeenet/index.html

I still like Neal Stephenson's vehicle-based analogy from In the Beginning Was the Command Line:

Quoting:Linux... is not a business at all. It's a bunch of RVs, yurts, tepees, and geodesic domes set up in a field and organized by consensus. The people who live there are making tanks. These are not old-fashioned, cast-iron Soviet tanks; these are more like the M1 tanks of the U.S. Army, made of space-age materials and jammed with sophisticated technology from one end to the other. But they are better than Army tanks. They've been modified in such a way that they never, ever break down, are light and maneuverable enough to use on ordinary streets, and use no more fuel than a subcompact car. These tanks are being cranked out, on the spot, at a terrific pace, and a vast number of them are lined up along the edge of the road with keys in the ignition. Anyone who wants can simply climb into one and drive it away for free.
viator

Nov 08, 2009
4:14 PM EDT
This is what i posted there....

The linux cafe would have so many kinds of coffee it would be overwhelming. The coffee would be free but you would have to pay for the cups. The choice of cups while well made are also overwhelming.The windows cafe would sell only one kind of coffee. the coffee is inexpensive if you buy it in their oem cup but if you want to buy coffee alone the price can be steep. Their cups are know for having holes in them and you end up paying hidden costs in medical bills from a virus you caught from the coffee. The mac cafe would also sell only one kind of coffee. It would be more expensive than any other coffee but would come in shiny cups that are also well made that "peacocks" like to brandish.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!