that's why I'm going back to Windows

Story: Open Source Poses “Huge Risk” To OrganisationsTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tuxchick

Nov 23, 2009
4:45 PM EDT
The Microsoft ad slogan "Where do you want to go today?" didn't quite translate into Japanese: "If you don’t know where you want to go, we’ll make sure you get taken." (Though that is more truthful.)
jdixon

Nov 23, 2009
5:04 PM EDT
I can see the GE meeting now:

First GE executive: "We're saving all kinds of money using this open source software in house, but if everyone else starts using it we'll lose our competitive advantage. What can we do?" Helpful marketing executive: "Why don't we have our CIO's badmouth FOSS in the press? Then no one else will use it and we'll keep our advantage." Lower level GE executive: "Great idea, but we don't want our main CIO to get hit with the inevitable backlash from those FOSS hippies. Let's have one of our European CIO's do it. Then the US corporate offices can deny any responsibility, but it'll still be effective." First GE executive: "Great work boys. Bonuses all around."
jezuch

Nov 24, 2009
3:09 AM EDT
Quoting:"Great work boys. Bonuses all around."

Linux saves money for more obscene bonuses? "Gack!!" or "The Ultimate Incentive For Management"?
jdixon

Nov 24, 2009
7:17 AM EDT
> ...or "The Ultimate Incentive For Management"?

Do you really think management is motivated by anything else?
phsolide

Nov 24, 2009
9:13 AM EDT
> Do you really think management is motivated by anything else?

I've worked for MegaCorporations for a lot of my adult, working life. The answer here is "Yes, at times, management is motivated by something other than money."

One thing that a lot of upper managers are motivated by is displays of raw power. That manifests in making people do work they don't want to do, like prepare propsals over weekends and major holidays. Oh, yeah, and working overtime without pay. That's a big one for a lot of mid-level managers.

I've always been surprised by how many major proposals are due just after Thanksgiving, or on January 2nd. It's really, really weird.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 24, 2009
11:06 AM EDT
> I've always been surprised by how many major proposals are due just after Thanksgiving, or on January 2nd. It's really, really weird.

They want to "hit the ground running".
tuxchick

Nov 24, 2009
11:12 AM EDT
Shut up, been there done that. Got post-traumatic psycho-boss disorder.
jdixon

Nov 24, 2009
7:13 PM EDT
> One thing that a lot of upper managers are motivated by is displays of raw power

Been there, done that. In my experience, that's far less common however. Maybe I've just had better bosses.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!