Switch to PostgreSQL

Story: What's a MySQL Partner to Do?Total Replies: 4
Author Content
softwarejanitor

Nov 24, 2009
3:24 PM EDT
I prefer it anyway... especially in that many things in it work a lot more like Oracle and DB2 to begin with... Makes it much easier for me to develop apps using PostgreSQL and then migrate to to Oracle or DB2 for production if necessary.
caitlyn

Nov 24, 2009
4:07 PM EDT
Depending on the size of the database a migration like that may not be trivial. I also agree with the author: MySQL is unlikely to go anywhere.
softwarejanitor

Nov 24, 2009
4:26 PM EDT
@caitlyn Trivial... of course not... And I don't think MySQL is going anywhere. If Oracle does kill it somehow it will undoubtedly get forked and live on. I'm just saying that even in the highly unlikely event that MySQL did die, PostgreSQL is a worthy database package. And I think a lot of people who are looking at free/open source databases would be well served to look at PostgreSQL before they commit to MySQL and those who are already using MySQL to consider adding PostgreSQL to their mix and/or switching.
caitlyn

Nov 24, 2009
6:16 PM EDT
No argument from me.

My only issue with PostgreSQL, and this was somewhere around 2000, was a new version that was incompatible with all that went before. At the time I supported a GIS server and the back end of the app was on PostgreSQL. That change caused all manner of grief. Hopefully things like that no longer are happening.
softwarejanitor

Nov 24, 2009
6:38 PM EDT
@caitlyn I haven't run into that sort of an issue but I can understand why that would be a big problem. I was mostly using MySQL prior to 2001, it was around 2001 that I switched over primarily to PostgreSQL.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!