Author Content
tracyanne

Nov 24, 2009
5:33 PM EDT
I'd take it.
hkwint

Nov 24, 2009
6:42 PM EDT
I suppose they could be cracked, right? Then I'd love one.
herzeleid

Nov 24, 2009
7:15 PM EDT
I'd take it -
hkwint

Nov 24, 2009
7:22 PM EDT
OK, we should wave Google we want three of them!
chalbersma

Nov 24, 2009
9:28 PM EDT
make it 4.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 24, 2009
9:57 PM EDT
For now, I would take a pass.

YBT
gus3

Nov 24, 2009
10:10 PM EDT
@MBT:

Would you really, or are you paid to say that?
chalbersma

Nov 24, 2009
10:20 PM EDT
It's free sh*t. It's like someone handing me a mars bar. Even if I'm full I can just chuck it.
jezuch

Nov 25, 2009
2:36 AM EDT
Well, I'd take it only if I'm able to pull all tracking devices built into it. The software is easy. But free hardware is frightening ;)
gus3

Nov 25, 2009
3:01 AM EDT
@jezuch:

I'm sure it's possible to blacklist the drivers in /etc/modprobe.d/.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 25, 2009
4:06 AM EDT
@gus: It doesn't have to be that simple. Think cell phones which often have two OSes running. he main one (e.g. Maemo, Symbian, etcetera) and a tiny embedded on-chip RTOS for the GSM chip. There's no reason the same thing can't be done for tracking.

Not that I think Google will go that far, but technically it's entirely possible.
padrian

Nov 25, 2009
9:27 AM EDT
Google's toy is not event an OS from my point of view. C'on... web based....
TxtEdMacs

Nov 25, 2009
11:01 AM EDT
gus,

Almost fell off my chair ... yes your interpretation makes sense for my persona, but ...

[serious] I tend not to take things just because there is no apparent cost. In this case the cost may be high, stepping into the cloud. Moreover, the free hardware part is usually a cover story for the subscription use of some specific network that tends to constrict its use. That too me comes at too high a real cost plus the potential to be monitored, too easily.

I might consider such an offer where the access were to be only Wi-Fi and then just browsing and perhaps email. However, even there I might still opt out.

When I am not shilling I tend to be an ornery sort that can be a bit unpredictable. [/serious]

YBT
ComputerBob

Nov 25, 2009
11:29 AM EDT
I turn down "free" deals whose real costs are privacy and security.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 25, 2009
11:53 AM EDT
I'd accept it, and then install Debian.
gus3

Nov 25, 2009
1:01 PM EDT
@Sander:

Point taken. And since it's free (as in beer), there is one more option: tear it apart and see how it works. At least it would make a good techno-prawn article for Engadget.
caitlyn

Nov 25, 2009
1:43 PM EDT
I'd take it to look at it but I wouldn't put any of my personal data on the cloud. That assumes, of course, no hidden costs or subscription fees. I'd also want to know what happens if I wipe the OS and install my own later on down the line.
gus3

Nov 25, 2009
2:12 PM EDT
@caitlyn:

You were near access point X at a particular date and time. Which of course implies that you had powered up your new toy.

There are those who consider these two points "personal data".
caitlyn

Nov 25, 2009
2:17 PM EDT
@gus3: Arguably, with my current netbook running Ubuntu, the minute I log into an account of mine online they can get exactly the same data. I don't see any way to avoid that.
tracyanne

Nov 25, 2009
4:38 PM EDT
Given that I'm on line from several different IP addresses at any one Time, I guess that means I have multiple personalities.
caitlyn

Nov 25, 2009
4:48 PM EDT
tracyanne, I think we already knew that. [evil grin]
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 25, 2009
4:51 PM EDT
I think there will be "free" Google netbooks in the offing, but they will be connected to broadband contracts for either 3G or 4G service via the major cell carriers. You'll be on the hook for a few hundred bucks if you break the broadband service contract and probably pay between $40 and $100 a month for the service for two years if you stay with it.

It's going to be a moneymaker for both the cell carriers and for Google, who'll probably be kicked back some of that monthly money from the carriers, Apple iPhone-style.

While I'm on the topic, I have a reporter who can't get the $%^&* "voice memos" out of the iPhone. I'm about to just hook up an audio cable to the headphone jack and record the thing analog-style into Audacity. I don't know if it's the hardware, the OS or the ^&* "apps" from that accursed "App Store," but something's rotten in the state of Denmark.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!