An interesting thing about Flash and Firefox.

Story: iPhone & HTML5 bring "streaming Silverlight content" to LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
tracyanne

Nov 26, 2009
4:27 PM EDT
Quoting:And in contrary to Flash, I'm able to watch this video in full screen (scaling works!) without crashing Firefox.

I've never had the problem you describe. Mind you the quality of every Youtube Video I've scalle to full screen is terrible. On the other hand, we have ABC (That's Australian Broadcasting Commission) with iView, it's Flash based streaming content (you get reruns all the recent TV ABC has aired, so I can catch up on Doctor Who, which we can't get on our TV, as it can only get ABC1) . I watch it quite a bit. The quality is excellent even at full screen on a 1680 by 1050 22 inch Monitor, and definitely no FF crashes.
herzeleid

Nov 26, 2009
6:31 PM EDT
I've seen no crashes when viewing flash content in google chrome either -
hkwint

Nov 26, 2009
7:13 PM EDT
Most people didn't have that problem TA. It's a very specific bug due to a specific combination of Flash, Firefox and some kind of memory call which is in some core package of Linux. Sadly, I can't find my link to some bug report it anymore.

Cool thing is, Youtube on fullscreen _does_ work in Opera OTOH. I can live with it, though it would be great if it is fixed.

H.264 however seems to be a different beast, it scales wonderfully.
moopst

Nov 27, 2009
1:24 AM EDT
I have trouble watching Hulu on my Slackware box, it seems to be using close to 100% of the CPU rather than using the hardware acceleration on my NVIDIA Quadro 4. I've heard that Flash doesn't do the hardware acceleration on Linux.

This would be a big deal for me if I could watch netflix on my main machine. I've been watching them on my work laptop on XP and would prefer to use Linux.
gus3

Nov 27, 2009
1:31 AM EDT
@moopst:

Slackware64 here, with a GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 on AMD64 X2 2.5 GHz. Hulu causes no stress on my system.

Have you configured xorg.conf to use a real chip driver, instead of the brain-dead "VESA Framebuffer" default?
dinotrac

Nov 27, 2009
4:29 AM EDT
gus3 -

I have, and I get so much stress on my system that I have to set Flash quality to low in order to make Hulu acceptable viewing at 480p.
jacog

Nov 27, 2009
4:40 AM EDT
My girlfriend and I play a goofy little Flash based MMO called Dofus. They provide both Windows and Linux downloads, with the Linux one running in a fuilscreen browser window, whereas the Windows version is a Flash executable.

The sad thing here, is that the version intended for Linux is dog-slow due to the awful native Flash plugin, so I find it works better to just run the Windows exe via WINE.

Sad, innit?
moopst

Nov 28, 2009
2:08 AM EDT
It's loading the NV driver.

Watching some movies on the hard disk also use up a lot of cpu (80 %) so maybe the machine is a bit slow by today's standards.

Linux harpo 2.6.27.7-smp #2 SMP Thu Nov 20 22:32:43 CST 2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
gus3

Nov 28, 2009
2:19 AM EDT
I'm still skeptical of "nv" being a "real" driver; I've never gotten a good framerate with it. I suggest the nVidia driver, or the Nouveau driver.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!