and ubuntu invented penicillin

Story: Five Years of UbuntuTotal Replies: 37
Author Content
tuxchick

Dec 02, 2009
9:06 PM EDT
And sliced bread, central air conditioning, no-cal chocolate cake, and is very close to world peace and interstellar travel.
tracyanne

Dec 02, 2009
9:08 PM EDT
I'll have to get Ubuntu, I want to travel to the stars.... well the planets that circle them at any rate. The stars might be too hot for my liking.
tracyanne

Dec 02, 2009
9:13 PM EDT
Quoting:Before Ubuntu, a user would need to be familiar with partitioning and package selections (at minimum!) in order to install a machine.

What tripe. Mandrake did the partitioning for you in 2000, and probably before, for all I know. And I seriously beleive tha Mandrake/Mandriva choices are better than, and smarter than the Ubuntu choices. To install Ubuntu properly I have to partition manually.
azerthoth

Dec 02, 2009
9:21 PM EDT
um, what firsts is he referring too?
tracyanne

Dec 02, 2009
9:49 PM EDT
First to have a brown theme
jdixon

Dec 02, 2009
10:21 PM EDT
You forgot indoor plumbing, TC.
gus3

Dec 02, 2009
10:26 PM EDT
World peace?

Ubuntu is a beauty pageant contestant? All style, no smarts?
tuxchick

Dec 02, 2009
10:45 PM EDT
The Carrie Prejean of Linuxes!

Meow.

Ubuntu is nowhere near that bad. In fact it is quite nice. It's too bad this article couldn't steer a little closer to reality. It does sound like speeches in a beauty pageant, like:

Quoting: If you find yourself at an Ubuntu event, don't be surprised if you actually see hugs! And watch out, it is contagious!

Squeal! Clap hands!

Some bits are plain wrong, like "What has historically been a hobbyist operating system..." Hobbyist? Linux was performing heavy labors when it was kindergarten age, like high-demand Web sites, mail, FTP, DNS, and fileservers, and high-powered routers on cruddy old PC hardware.

It most certainly was not the first user-friendly, single-CD, anyone-can-install distro, that goes all the way back to Caldera, Mandrake, Libranet, and Lindows. All of those also had single-CD installs.

Tom's Root Boot was one of the first complete distros that ran off a floppy disk, and Peter Anvin's Super Resuce CD was the first live bootable Linux. Then came Knoppix, then all the others.

Ubuntu was not the first OEM Linux, neither desktop nor server nor nothing else.

This kind of cheerleading fanboyism is silly.

tuxchick

Dec 02, 2009
10:47 PM EDT
Oh yeah, and get off my lawn whippersnapper.
kenholmz

Dec 02, 2009
11:03 PM EDT
Reading the posting reminded me of the first time I heard of Ubuntu, and both reminded me of the early 70's when I lived in D.C. I met various "true believers" and they had each found a different ultimate belief. It was quite interesting. Ubuntu may offer some revealed truth, although I doubt it is as ultimate as the initiated would have me believe.

OOmmmmmmmm.....
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 02, 2009
11:03 PM EDT
Ubuntu - it's a cola .. and a brown-orange desktop OS.
techiem2

Dec 02, 2009
11:24 PM EDT
Quoting:Oh yeah, and get off my lawn whippersnapper.

I prefer the more up to date "Get of my LAN!" :P

And yeah, first to offer a CD install is quite amusing. Considering that most of us remember installing from floppy disks, then CDs when they became popular, then DVDs in the more recent years.... Downloading CD ISOs over dialup....ah those were the days....
azerthoth

Dec 02, 2009
11:37 PM EDT
Get off my LAN ... love it.
tuxchick

Dec 02, 2009
11:44 PM EDT
And there still isn't a downloadable USB image, you have to hack one from the .iso. Like hello, CDs are so 20th century, especially for the Most Advanced, We Did It First Linux.

Meow!
gus3

Dec 02, 2009
11:55 PM EDT
I booted the UNR live CD and then installed it to a thumb drive. Then I used the thumb drive to install it to my EeePC.

But, unless saner heads prevail, their elimination of The GIMP from the next live/install CD means I won't be upgrading it, I'll replace it with Slackware instead.
aanderse

Dec 03, 2009
12:33 AM EDT
ubuntu was the first version of gnu/linux that ever crashed on me -_-
montezuma

Dec 03, 2009
12:44 AM EDT
Ubuntu made me believe in Desmond Tutu. He's cool.
hkwint

Dec 03, 2009
5:46 AM EDT
Quoting:And there still isn't a downloadable USB image

Yeah, the evil kingdom has it (OpenSuse) and the 'previous user-friendly Linux' (Mandriva) has it too. Nonetheless, Ubuntu folks will happily recommend "you boot a liveCD and make liveUSB from there". How charming, when you dont't have a CDROM-drive. Apart from that they always tend to choose an nVidia video-driver which doesn't work for me...
caitlyn

Dec 03, 2009
7:47 AM EDT
Quoting:And there still isn't a downloadable USB image, you have to hack one from the .iso.

Quoting:Ubuntu folks will happily recommend "you boot a liveCD and make liveUSB from there". How charming, when you dont't have a CDROM-drive

Actually UNetbootin supports Ubuntu (or vice versa) very well. Unlike a lot of other distros I can always make a bootable Ubuntu USB stick with UNetbootin. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I really think y'all should cut the distro that invented the Internet some slack :)

Yes, the article is seriously silly. That someone actually believes this is sad. I just pulled out an old copy of Caldera OpenLinux Lite, circa 1997. Single CD install seven years before there was an Ubuntu...

number6x

Dec 03, 2009
11:13 AM EDT
"Peter Anvin's Super Resuce CD was the first live bootable Linux"

Yggdrasil had a live cd, and I think they stopped distributing in '95 or so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil_Linux/GNU/X

"Yggdrasil was the first company to create a Live CD Linux distribution. Yggdrasil Linux was described as a "Plug-and-Play" Linux distribution, automatically configuring itself for the hardware."
jdixon

Dec 03, 2009
11:17 AM EDT
> I really think y'all should cut the distro that invented the Internet some slack :)

The Al Gore distro?
caitlyn

Dec 03, 2009
11:45 AM EDT
@jdixon: Actually, no, what we're making fun of here wasn't taken out of context.

@number6x: You probably nailed it. I never used Yggdrasil so I used one of the earliest examples I knew of.

jdixon

Dec 03, 2009
12:25 PM EDT
> Actually, no, what we're making fun of here wasn't taken out of context.

Well, Al's exact quote appears to have been "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet". Folks can make of that what they will.

And yes, I believe Yggdrasil did have a live CD, though I can't verify that from personal experience.
montezuma

Dec 03, 2009
1:27 PM EDT
For a broader perspective:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
tuxchick

Dec 03, 2009
2:04 PM EDT
No no montezuma, everyone knows the Internet was invented and developed by independent, free-thinking, self-funded heroic geeks without any government help whatsoever, an example of the purest grassroots movement ever. We shouldn't waste precious electrons giving credit to the likes of:

-Al Gore (throughout much of his political career pushed policy and funding forward, and actually researched and understood this wacky computer networking guff) -Tim Berners-Lee (invented HTML while working for CERN when he was supposed to be doing something else.) -ARPANET (US Dept. of Defense) -Vint Cert (DOD employee, invented TCP/IP, ICANN, and lots of other internetty things)

It takes free-market robber barons like Bill 'Internet? What's that?' Gates to truly change the world, indeed the meaning of life itself as we know it. Oh and independent selfless grassroots geeks with no government help.
bigg

Dec 03, 2009
2:34 PM EDT
If the internet had value, it would have been created by the private sector. That much of the work was done by the government proves that the internet was an inefficient use of resources.
caitlyn

Dec 03, 2009
3:59 PM EDT
Thanks for beating me to the link, tuxchick. Taken in context he clearly didn't claim he invented the internet.

Oh, and yes, as with most new technologies, much of the basic research and early development is either done by government or done by the private sector funded by government grants. I could list all sorts of technologies we use every day that developed as spin off from the space program or from the military. ARPANET was a military project which ended up evolving into the internet.

Ubuntu, OTOH, really did develop out of things created by heroic geek volunteers, starting with a certain Finnish grad student and on into the Debian project. Much of Ubuntu is still developed upstream.
jdixon

Dec 03, 2009
5:03 PM EDT
> [HYPERLINK@www.snopes.com]

Which says exactly what I quoted above.
tuxchick

Dec 03, 2009
5:16 PM EDT
jdixon, that one quote from one interview has been totally overused, and always as a put-down. It's ignorant and annoying, mostly coming from the Slashdotters of the world whose contributions to society are vast unharnessed emissions of hot air.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore "Before computers were comprehensible, let alone sexy, the poker-faced Gore struggled to explain artificial intelligence and fiber-optic networks to sleepy colleagues."[25][47] Internet pioneers Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn have also noted that, "as far back as the 1970s, Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high speed telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the improvement of our educational system. He was the first elected official to grasp the potential of computer communications to have a broader impact than just improving the conduct of science and scholarship [...] the Internet, as we know it today, was not deployed until 1983. When the Internet was still in the early stages of its deployment, Congressman Gore provided intellectual leadership by helping create the vision of the potential benefits of high speed computing and communication. As an example, he sponsored hearings on how advanced technologies might be put to use in areas like coordinating the response of government agencies to natural disasters and other crises."[48]

"As a Senator, Gore began to craft the High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991 (commonly referred to as "The Gore Bill") after hearing the 1988 report Toward a National Research Network submitted to Congress by a group chaired by UCLA professor of computer science, Leonard Kleinrock, one of the central creators of the ARPANET (the ARPANET, first deployed by Kleinrock and others in 1969, is the predecessor of the Internet).[49][50][51] The bill was passed on December 9, 1991 and led to the National Information Infrastructure (NII) which Gore referred to as the "information superhighway."[52]
hkwint

Dec 03, 2009
7:42 PM EDT
Hmm, I just noted M. Shuttleworth was born in 'Welkom' (how inviting!) in the "Orange Free State" (because some people wanted to be free of the British proprietary-police, yet again). So it seems he did invent some stuff after all, like "Orange Free Software". That's why it's brown, contains no vitamins and doesn't come with bobbies!
montezuma

Dec 03, 2009
9:15 PM EDT
> [HYPERLINK@www.snopes.com]

> Which says exactly what I quoted above.

Absolutely correct. Plus a whole lot more which basically says the whole thing is "taken out of context" bs. Hence perspective.

jdixon

Dec 03, 2009
9:43 PM EDT
> ...that one quote from one interview has been totally overused, and always as a put-down.

If I pay for the painting of a picture, I don't get to claim I "created" the picture. If I use another person's money to pay for it, even less so. Gore supported the funding of Internet related technologies with taxpayer money, he didn't create them.

IMNSHO, quite simply, the put down is totally deserved.

> Plus a whole lot more which basically says the whole thing is "taken out of context" bs.

People can judge that for themselves, as the quote pretty much speaks for itself.
montezuma

Dec 03, 2009
10:23 PM EDT
> People can judge that for themselves

Sure they can. I was just providing additional relevant information.
tuxchick

Dec 03, 2009
10:37 PM EDT
As long as we're judging, let's weigh a years-long body of work against a single, blown-out-of-proportion comment....hmmm, how petty do I have to be to give the win to the comment, that it justifies mockery and disregarding significant achievements? I can be petty, it's easy and fun. But I don't feel like exerting the effort to be that petty.
gus3

Dec 04, 2009
1:08 AM EDT
Quoting:That's why it's brown, contains no vitamins and doesn't come with bobbies!
Biting my tongue.... biting my tongue...
jdixon

Dec 04, 2009
10:10 AM EDT
> ...let's weigh a years-long body of work against a single, blown-out-of-proportion comment....hmmm, how petty do I have to be to give the win to the comment, that it justifies mockery and disregarding significant achievements?

I personally don't consider the legislature useful work, TC. Necessary, yes, but not useful. So his "years long body of work" doesn't carry much weight with me. The "single, blown-out-of-proportion comment", on the other hand, is a reasonably accurate demonstration of his true character. He does consider funding something with taxpayer money the same thing as creating it.
caitlyn

Dec 04, 2009
10:57 AM EDT
I'm now very sorry I used that quote to make fun of Ubuntu.

My frame of reference was that Vice President Gore uses that quote to poke fun at himself in some of his talks and presentations. I thought it could be taken in the same lighthearted way that Mr. Gore uses it now, as a faux pas that conveys something which was never intended. I should have realized that it would spark useless, unwarranted, off-topic political debate here because some people still want to turn LXer.com into a political debating site rather than a site about Linux and FOSS. My bad.

I apologize to everyone who is reading this who wasn't looking to LXer.com for political debate. I won't be stupid enough to do something like this again.
jdixon

Dec 04, 2009
11:49 AM EDT
> ... as a faux pas that conveys something which was never intended.

Now that I will grant as being true, though our reasons differ.

I should note that I merely mentioned Al Gore in passing as a well known reference for the phrase used. My comment wasn't intended as either a personal attack on Gore, or a political comment. My personal opinion of Al Gore has little to no place on LXer.

However, when others insist on defending something which should stand or fall on it's own merits, and claiming that plain statements are "out of context" things tend to go downhill.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!