Has there been any development lately?

Story: Window Maker - Your NeXT window managerTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
caitlyn

Dec 03, 2009
11:49 AM EDT
I kind of like WindowMaker but it seems to me like there have been no updates or improvements for several years now. Is it even still under development or is it essentially a dead product? Does anyone know?
Alcibiades

Dec 03, 2009
2:36 PM EDT
I like the idea of it. And tried to use it a couple of times, also tried it on naive users. The attraction was that it is fast and light. Yes, that is true. But its no faster and lighter than fluxbox, and the learning curve is no less steep. With FB, you do have to edit the menu for them. But once you have done that, they get quickly into right click and find what I want. You do have to explain about file managers, but once you have, its not really an issue. I use Thunar with FB, and it works just fine.

The last case, I had an old shuttle with 512Mb memory, an Athlon 1.2Ghz processor, and put in fluxbox with some trepidation. Edited the menu of course. After a while playing with it, I got the reaction from customer that it was great, that this is what I had always expected Linux to be like, just very stripped down and no nonsense, and who needs all this clutter anyway?

Makes you think about HIGs, and then think again.
hkwint

Dec 03, 2009
7:53 PM EDT
Caitlyn: It depends.

Yes, it's dead, no changes the last few years, no active development. Have been using it for five years now, not much new to it.

Yes, it's stable so it doesn't need gazillion bugfixes / updates like Gnome and KDE and what-else-do-you-have. It doesn't depend on complex stuff like MySQL (like kdepim-4 with Akonadi) or Mono, so there's no political debate to justify another gazillion changes.

There's only one bugfix I'd like to see, because it doesn't seem to remember which app is running in which workspace. For the rest I'm quite happy with it: It's better than Blackbox, the only other "Unix-WM" I used for longer than a week.
ardchoille

Dec 10, 2009
1:09 AM EDT
It's not at all dead. I sit in the #windowmaker channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with the developers.
caitlyn

Dec 10, 2009
2:11 AM EDT
OK, and what are the developers up to? No releases for years at a time is dead to me.
hkwint

Dec 10, 2009
8:46 AM EDT
AFAIK the 'old' main developers left, and some others stood up to do some minor maintenance and bug fixing.
gus3

Dec 10, 2009
3:54 PM EDT
On a related topic:

The GNUstep live CD v2.0 is now out.

http://io.debian.net/~tar/gnustep/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!