Why the poor screenshots?

Story: Window Maker - Your NeXT window managerTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Dec 03, 2009
4:20 PM EDT
Why do all these alternative window managers produce such poor screenshots? They always use some ugly Win95-like GTK or Qt theme alongside these WMs. It really makes these WMs look poorer than they are.

Please, show a stock Gnome or Stock KDE with your WM running on top. The screenshots will look better to the uninitiated. Also, people will immediately see what's different on comparison to stock KDE/Gnome.
hkwint

Dec 03, 2009
7:57 PM EDT
Because people who care about aesthetics normally don't use these alternative Window Managers I guess. Anyway, I'm busy trying to upload my own screenshot of my current 'screen'. Same ugly theme though.
hkwint

Dec 03, 2009
8:04 PM EDT
Should be here: http://lxer.com/pub/files/hkwint/WM_screenshot.jpg
gus3

Dec 04, 2009
12:58 AM EDT
Hmpf. I use Sawfish, one of the "alternative window managers", because it has the most flexible, Motif-ish theme out there, "Mwm". I fell in love with the look-and-feel back when I used Geoworks Ensemble, and I still prefer the default color scheme of CDE. Heck, I even found a sweater in a Goodwill store with the default CDE colors.

Yes, I need a life.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 04, 2009
4:07 AM EDT
I'm totally into Awesome at the moment. It's both a tiling and a floating windowmanager. Usually it's set to tiling but for some apps or windows tiling just doesn't work (e.g. popup windows). I also love how it is completely programmable using Lua.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!