The comment about the article is a corker

Story: I want a natural gas-fueled microturbine-cooled serverTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
tracyanne

Dec 04, 2009
4:59 PM EDT
Quoting:This is where I--a non-native speaker of English with decent skills in this language--get my rocks off. I have no really good idea on how to replace this bad wording without breaking any rules of English--but this is plain contra-language gets me: "natural gas-fueled microturbine-cooled". "Gas-fueled"? OK. "Natural gas"? OK. But is it "natural gas-fueled", "natural-gas fueled", or (as I'd propose) "natural-gas-fueled"? And then this "microturbine-cooled" thing ... oh no. But I digress ... just write it again while I'll go back to my native language ...
Grishnakh

Dec 04, 2009
6:09 PM EDT
I'm pretty sure "natural gas-fueled" is correct. English isn't always the most logical of languages, but the rule here I believe is that if it were just "gas" fueled, you'd write it "gas-fueled". Since it's "natural gas" (which does not have a hyphen), you just prepend that instead: "natural gas-fueled". You don't add an extra hyphen.

As a native English speaker, I apologize for our inconsistent mess of a language. It's really versatile compared to many other languages, and has a much larger vocabulary (mainly thanks to tons of shameless borrowing), but consistency is not one of its virtues, unlike, say, German.
caitlyn

Dec 04, 2009
6:51 PM EDT
One of the nice things about Hebrew is that it's phonetic. You can always sound out a word. That is, of course, if the vowels are present. Printed Hebrew (except in prayer books and when written for students learning the language) leaves out the vowels, which are represented by little marks around the letters (dots and the like). Try figuring out a word you don't know from consonants and silent letters only...

All languages have their quirks.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 04, 2009
7:24 PM EDT
Quoting:unlike, say, German

Have you studied German? I don't find it consistent at all. Dutch is worse though :-)
jdixon

Dec 04, 2009
7:34 PM EDT
> I'm pretty sure "natural gas-fueled" is correct...

Yes, though the hyphen isn't really necessary.

> ...but consistency is not one of its virtues,

True.
hkwint

Dec 04, 2009
8:35 PM EDT
Who cares, everyone understand gas fueled micro turbine powered cooled server isn't it?

It seems there's just not a word for this sort of devices yet, because they are pretty new. Someone will come up with some simple word for this kind of device. Just like 'triple-pay' (meaning Internet, Phone and TV all in one connection). Or just abbreviate it, also works.

In my language there is 'one word' / one abbreviation for 'heat-power coupling' which refers to decentral power plants "@home". Now we only need to add the airco, and there, done.
caitlyn

Dec 04, 2009
8:45 PM EDT
OK, can someone define "corker" for me. I think I get it from the context but considering I don't speak Australian, only American, I can't be 100% sure.
gus3

Dec 04, 2009
9:15 PM EDT
F u cn rd ths, u cn hv a crr n crptgrph.

Crkr: wn t rzk cd psr wttk.
tracyanne

Dec 05, 2009
12:49 AM EDT
Fair suck of the sav.

Corker: it's a keeper. a ripper
tracyanne

Dec 05, 2009
12:52 AM EDT
It means I liked it, and thought it somewhat amusing.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 05, 2009
8:53 AM EDT
@gus: I can read that. Reminds me of that research at IIRC Cambridge about mixing up the letters in a word. It's perfectly readable as long as the first and last letter of a word are correct.
caitlyn

Dec 05, 2009
11:30 AM EDT
@tracyanne: You've just proven that I didn't get the meaning right. Thank you for clarifying it for linguistically challenged people like myself :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!