Happy New Year to all LXers

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 26
Author Content
beirwin

Dec 31, 2009
2:47 PM EDT
I would like to wish all my fellow LXers a very Happy 2010 from The Great White North (except it's green and warm here in Victoria! :-) ).

To our Aussie and Kiwi friends and others already into 2010 -- hope you had a great celebration. To our European friends, get out those dancing shoes and start your partying. To my Canadian friends and others in the Western Hemisphere -- you still got time to plan your celebrations. :-)

LXer is a great place to hang out. During the last year I've enjoyed the camaraderie, the give-and-take, the humour, the discussions (sometimes intense), and, along the way, I've learned quite a bit about Linux and free software.

And, before I forget, hats off to our Grand Poobah, Scott, for a job well done. (Don't get a swelled head, Scott!).

Happy New Year everyone, and here's to another great year.

Barbara
alc

Dec 31, 2009
3:12 PM EDT
Back at you Barbara and to all the LXers, Happy New year.
tuxchick

Dec 31, 2009
3:38 PM EDT
Happy New Year Barbara and all LXerers! May the next year be full of good stuff!
dinotrac

Dec 31, 2009
5:01 PM EDT
Oh my goodness, what an offensive post!

First we get a depiction of the north as a bastion of Aryan supremacy, then a political pitch for Victoria's environmental activism. If that's not enough, it then goes to call certain of our southern hemisphere community fruits.

What is Lxer coming to? I call TOS for hate speech -- but only for the rest of the year.
tuxchick

Dec 31, 2009
5:32 PM EDT
Dino, to quote the immortal sage Billy Jack, as portrayed by Paul Simon on Saturday Night Live: "I....(breathe hard)...hate....(breathe hard)....HATE!!!" And then karate the living heck out of the evil rednecks.
dinotrac

Dec 31, 2009
5:49 PM EDT
And happy (vengeful) New Year's to you, too, TC.
tracyanne

Dec 31, 2009
8:19 PM EDT
Have a good one.
cybergal

Jan 01, 2010
7:15 PM EDT
Although my message is a little bit late [I'm on Vancouver Island Time!], it is no less sincere and I wish everyone here a very good 2010.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 01, 2010
10:42 PM EDT
Happy new year everyone!
Koriel

Jan 02, 2010
6:56 PM EDT
Happy New year folks, have a good one.

Also courtesy of Mike Myers and SNL, "If it isnt Scottish its cr@p"
hkwint

Jan 02, 2010
7:46 PM EDT
Yeah, I second that (the happy new year), and a happy January third also.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 02, 2010
8:29 PM EDT
Thank You beirwin for the kind words, and a happy new year to all. I hope it sees you healthy and safe.

Bob_Robertson

Jan 03, 2010
3:49 PM EDT
Indeed, a happy and prosperous New Year to everyone.

On the 17th, we can all come back and wish each other Happy Chinese New Year.
hkwint

Jan 03, 2010
4:54 PM EDT
My intelligence tells me the Chinese new year starts on Feb 14th, together with Valentine's day I assume. But I may be wrong?
nicsmr

Jan 04, 2010
10:59 AM EDT
HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL,

From the TRUE Great White North...Edmonton, Alberta. Where even the glow from red necks can keep it warm or light. It's mighty cold and very white here, but still not as much snow as the East coast.

Hope everyone has a great 2010.

Nick.
dinotrac

Jan 04, 2010
12:15 PM EDT
Hans --

Maybe Bob is referring to Taiwanese New Year or maybe Wedgewood New Year.
azerthoth

Jan 04, 2010
3:02 PM EDT
Happy new years to all, and to all it's still night.

@nicsmr, happy new year you southerner you, from Bethel, Alaska.
nicsmr

Jan 04, 2010
3:30 PM EDT
@azerthoth...

Thanks and I stand humbled...
gus3

Jan 04, 2010
4:15 PM EDT
Bethel, Alaska, with ~6,300 residents, is the 9th largest community in the state.

Ouch.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 04, 2010
6:33 PM EDT
All the suppositions are way off base, I simply got it wrong. Heard it referenced once, thought I remembered, was just plain wrong.

It happens.

Happy Scottish Bank Holiday.
hkwint

Jan 06, 2010
5:12 PM EDT
Happy Three Kings (that's today) as well! I wonder what the next celebration is...
tracyanne

Jan 06, 2010
5:19 PM EDT
January 26 Australia Day
gus3

Jan 06, 2010
6:21 PM EDT
Merry Christmas Eve to the Old Calendarists!
Sander_Marechal

Jan 07, 2010
3:08 AM EDT
Quoting:Happy Three Kings (that's today) as well!

Thanks. I stocked my home with candy for all the kids. There are a lot of kids in our neighbourhood. Strangely enough only one group came to our door. A Turkish mother with two lovely (and very shy) kids :-)

For other people: Thee Kings is a Christian celebration, commemorating that three kings saw a star in the eastern sky that told them to go to Bethlehem. At that date, Dutch kids dress up as the three kings and go trick-or-treating. Except they sing songs instead of tricking. I found it oddly humorous that all the Dutch kids stayed home apparently while a Turkish/muslim mom (she was wearing a head dress) was taking her two kids trick-or-treating on a Christian holiday.

PS: Ah, I found the proper English name for this day: Epiphany. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphany_(holiday)
gus3

Jan 07, 2010
3:20 AM EDT
For (non-Old Calendar) Eastern Orthodox Christians, it's Holy Theophany, commemorating Jesus' baptism.

Or at least, it was. Why am I up so late?
hkwint

Jan 07, 2010
5:01 AM EDT
I only knew Epiphany the file browser. Well, you learn something new every day!
jdixon

Jan 07, 2010
11:33 AM EDT
From merriam-webster.com:

Epiphany:

3 a (1) : a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something (2) : an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking (3) : an illuminating discovery, realization, or disclosure b : a revealing scene or moment

I guess they consider it archaic now, since it's not listed as the primary definition. Epiphany (the day of celebration) is called such as marks the first recognition of Christ as the foretold messiah.

You cannot post until you login.