A KDE3.5 to KDE4.3 transition guide.

Story: Hidden Linux : Learning to love KDE 4 (part I)Total Replies: 6
Author Content
Ridcully

Jan 05, 2010
2:43 AM EDT
Thanks Geoff.........Your article heads right to a very basic need, although admittedly your material probably was only possible once KDE4 had become firmer. A user's guide to migrating from 3.5 to 4.x is still (in my very personal and humble opinion, and apart from your very nice two articles), a large gap in the whole situation. Some of your ideas I had tried, others I had not so I am most grateful purely because I am still sitting on KDE3.5 and just watching how things turn out.....Putting it all together as you have done is excellent, even if you may have considered it only a beginning, but it certainly gives me some more options to explore. Thankyou.
tracyanne

Jan 05, 2010
4:05 AM EDT
Quoting:Defaulting to Konqueror If you don't like Dolphin, KDE 4's new default file manager, you can switch back to Konqueror like this;

A really pointless exercise, as all the bits I hate about Dolphin are integrated into Konqueror.
Ridcully

Jan 05, 2010
4:43 AM EDT
Perhaps this may be true, tracyanne, as far as you are concerned; but without any offence intended, and I hope, none taken, I personally prefer Konqueror......I tried Dolphin in KDE4.3 and tied myself in knots and angst over what it could NOT do as compared to Konqueror.....and please don't ask me what those things were ~ it was in 2009 and my New Year Celebrations have successfully put in a mindblock. I don't think this mode of using Konqueror as a default is a "pointless exercise" at all. If someone who is locked on KDE3.5 can find a bit more ease in migrating to KDE4.x with a bit of help and familiar tools, then my immediate response is great......more please.
DiBosco

Jan 05, 2010
5:00 AM EDT
I've changed my default file manager to konqueror too. Seems to work almost as well as on 3.5 now (shame you can't name your tabs). I love konqueror, on the *very* rare occasions I have to use Windows now, I am always reminded how brilliant konqueror is.

I think the article is spot on in its assertion than KDE4 was released while it was at beta (or maybe even earlier) standard an that has (understandably) put people off. There is very little lacking from 3.5 to 4 now for me and there are actually a couple of nice improvements I miss when using 3.5.

Hopefully the next part of the article will have a little more substance in terms of explaining features.
tracyanne

Jan 05, 2010
5:17 AM EDT
@Ridcully, I don't take offence, I live in hope that one day I'll be able to install a KDE based distro that is actually usable. So far I have not been able to install Kubuntu or even mandriva on anything that happily runs Ubuntu.
dinotrac

Jan 05, 2010
6:14 AM EDT
Hmmm. It may be time to check out KDE 4.
Ridcully

Jan 05, 2010
7:11 AM EDT
For tracyanne..........thanks. I use openSUSE11 exclusively, so I cannot comment on the other distros. I have considered upgrading, but so far have only looked at openSUSE11.1, purely because it still supports KDE3.5. And I may have to do that shift sooner rather than later. A curious aspect of openSUSE11 is that it will NOT allow the present beta of Chrome to install because apparently openSUSE 11 does not support Linux Standard Base > 3......or at least that is the message I am getting. The reports I have indicate openSUSE 11.2 supports KDE4.3 rather nicely so I guess I will have to do some more research.......But at least Geoff's article is an oasis in the desert. Has the KDE team published anything similar to help a KDE3.5 user migrate to KDE4.x ?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!