Frankensystem!

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
gus3

Jan 12, 2010
12:31 AM EDT
I just finished recovering from some damage I caused two nights ago.

My normal desktop system is Slackware64 13.0, upgraded to -current. I have a "pure" ext4 root partition; it was formatted that way, rather than formatted ext3 and then upgraded.

I also have a 64Studio partition (the one I borked), for transferring my old tapes, with its /boot on a separate partition. Once I finished re-installing, its GRUB could no longer see my Slackware64 root, with the Slackware64 boot files on it.

There is no GRUB package in /extra for Slackware64. Patrick Volkerding hates GRUB. But I need it, for doing some of the screwy boot stuff I do.

Fedora 12 LiveCD to the rescue! Fedora 12 understands ext4. I fired up the live CD, opened a Gnome Terminal window, and typed:

$ su # mkdir /mnt/boot # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot # grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda1

Voila, it all works! So this is my setup:

Fedora 12 boot loader Slackware 13/-current desktop 64Studio (Ubuntu-based) alternate desktop

Three radically different system philosophies, each playing its role without protest. All three are necessary, to create the system I want. And it certainly beats building my own from scratch.

You cannot post until you login.