Installing Linux with Windows Vista

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
kannanm

Jan 13, 2010
2:59 AM EDT
Hi,

I would like to install linux os along with windows vista over intel core 2 duo processor with 3GB Ram and 320GB hard disk. Can anybody suggest me the partition and its disadvantages?
herzeleid

Jan 13, 2010
3:48 AM EDT
If it were my machine I'd partition it for linux like so:

/ = 64 GB reiserfs, notail, noatime /home = 64 GB reiserfs, notail, noatime swap = 2 or 4 GB /local - (remainder of the disk) reiserfs, notail, noatime - use for archived storage, symlinks from home dir, backups, etc

When the linux setup is complete, install windows in a virtual machine.

YMMV of course
Sander_Marechal

Jan 13, 2010
3:51 AM EDT
You need to create a new partition. Do not use an existing partition. You may loose data!

Start Vista. Go to the hard disk manager and shrink the main Vista partition by 10 or 20 GB. That should be enough for starters. If you can make more room then so much the better.

Then, insert the Linux CD (e.g. Ubuntu) and follow the installer. When it comes to partitioning, just tell it to use the existing free space. That's all.

For the geeks: For some reason, gparted and other Linux partitioners have problems shrinking Vista (and probably Win7) NTFS partitions. It works, but takes a very very long time. The same operation in Vista takes just a few seconds.
tracyanne

Jan 13, 2010
5:15 AM EDT
Sander, I've never had any problems shrinking Vista NTFS partitions with gparted.
bigg

Jan 13, 2010
9:41 AM EDT
I had trouble shrinking Vista partitions when Vista first came out. Not for a while, though.
hkwint

Jan 13, 2010
6:34 PM EDT
TA: It's still considered dangerous, better let Microsoft software handle it I guess.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 13, 2010
8:01 PM EDT
I've shrunk many an NTFS partition with gParted. Windows throws up a "warning" screen on the next boot, but the partition is always fine, and the warning goes away on the next boot into Windows.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 14, 2010
4:13 AM EDT
@Steven: It's not all NTFS partitions. It's Vista NTFS partitions. They're slightly different than XP NTFS partitions somehow.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 14, 2010
9:33 AM EDT
> They're slightly different than XP NTFS partitions somehow.

Anyone surprised by this, please raise your hands.
gus3

Jan 14, 2010
1:27 PM EDT
Quoting:Anyone surprised by this, please raise your hands.
*raises hand*

Hah, just kidding.

*lowers hand*
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 14, 2010
6:02 PM EDT
Quoting:It's not all NTFS partitions. It's Vista NTFS partitions. They're slightly different than XP NTFS partitions somehow.

That's just lovely.

You cannot post until you login.