Viva le Slack!

Story: Slackware Linux - Less is moreTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
phsolide

Jan 19, 2010
8:06 PM EDT
I don't know if it's "stripped down" so much anymore: it takes 2-3 CDs to do a full install.

But, still, you can do with it what you want. I use the "twm" window manager, and neither of KDE or Gnome.
Koriel

Jan 20, 2010
9:03 PM EDT
Its still stripped down if your willing to take your time during installation, i mean that ncurses based installer aint changed in years.

Still my favourite server distro, once you spend the time setting it up it just keeps going but make sure you have that crucial spare time to do the setup.

jdixon

Jan 20, 2010
9:26 PM EDT
> ...but make sure you have that crucial spare time to do the setup.

Well, after 15 years, I've pretty much got the setup down. :) And I find it a really good desktop system. Fast, stable, and easy to use. But then, as I've told Caitlyn, ease of use is subjective.
hkwint

Jan 21, 2010
8:14 AM EDT
But let's say you only choose set 'AP', does that still mean you got to download those full 3 CD's before being able to install?

I tried to find out if there's some minimal install about ~130Mb (like for Gentoo) , but I can't figure it out.

It would be nice to have some minimal Linux, like a 'rescueCD' on my old 64MB SD card, that's why I'm asking.

DSL had 2.4 kernel, so was not able to recognize my integrated NIC. Tinycore was pretty OK, though TinyX looked rather ugly, so a system with only CLI is good enough too. As long as it is able to mount mdraid, LVM2 and has fsck, grub, syslinux and the like.
jdixon

Jan 21, 2010
10:01 AM EDT
> ...does that still mean you got to download those full 3 CD's before being able to install?

No. AFAIK, the base install has always been on disk 1. I just download the DVD and do a full install anymore though.
bigg

Jan 21, 2010
10:16 AM EDT
I have not had much luck unless I use all 3 CD's. The problem is that I compile (or compile updates for) a few apps. SlackBuild authors generally assume that you have installed the full system, so you can run into dependency hell.

You'll still need a lot more space than 130 MB even if you do a base install.
hkwint

Jan 21, 2010
7:35 PM EDT
OK, I thought it didn't have a 'base install', like 'no default' but I guess I'm wrong. Probably I should try to install it again (last time I was an absolute Linux-beginner) in some VM or something.
gus3

Jan 21, 2010
9:11 PM EDT
Unpacking all the packages in the -current A set comes to 293 megs.

Installing only that set will get you a minimally useful system: it boots, you can log in as root, add users, modify and format partitions, mount them, and edit config files like fstab and rc.*. Oh, and of course, you can go on to add more packages from a CD-ROM or DVD. The L (libs), AP (non-X apps), and N (networking) sets are strongly suggested, and X and XAP are probably useful as well. And if you're building apps, libraries, or kernels, the D (devel) set.

I know Patrick Volkerding tries to be reasonably complete, but the E set is mostly junk: http://slackware.oregonstate.edu/slackware-13.0/slackware/e/
jdixon

Jan 21, 2010
9:30 PM EDT
> OK, I thought it didn't have a 'base install', like 'no default' but I guess I'm wrong.

No, you're correct. There is no base install as such. What you do is simply only select the sets you want to install.

You'll probably want the a, ap, d, f, l, and n sets. You may also want the e (emacs), k (kernel source), t (Tex), tcl, and y (text games) sets; but they're more optional. I see gus has also offered his suggestions. For a console only install you can skip the kde, kdei, x, and xap sets. You can actually go so far as to specify exactly which packages you want to install if you want, but that's probably far more trouble than you'll want.
gus3

Jan 21, 2010
10:42 PM EDT
The only nit-pick I would add to that, is that a console-only install, with networking, can run X11 programs through remote servers, so X and XAP might still be desirable.
hkwint

Jan 22, 2010
5:09 AM EDT
Thanks for helping, I think I try to understand. I've been thinking about building my own Gentoo-based Rescue-USB stick, but it woud take quite some effort I concluded.

Now what would be desirable, is an easy way to put those suggested Slack-sets on a LiveCD / USB. In the ideal world it would use clicfs to lzma-compress it, because that way one could compress probably over 130Megs on a 64MB SD card.

I might try that and write some short blog about it, once I find some time to fiddle.

But probably other people already made Slack/Zen based rescueCD's, should look for that first. Apart from that, I just like 'educational' fiddling so I might try to brew my own anyway.
techiem2

Jan 22, 2010
1:04 PM EDT
Quoting:Thanks for helping, I think I try to understand. I've been thinking about building my own Gentoo-based Rescue-USB stick, but it woud take quite some effort I concluded.

You could try creating a custom build of SystemRescueCD and see if you can trim enough out to fit on 64MB. The customization guide tells how to remove the dev tools and how to add more packages, but doesn't seem to tell how to remove other installed stuff though, so that may not be an option.

Koriel

Jan 22, 2010
1:09 PM EDT
You might want to take a look at Salix OS which is a slack based distro that comes on a single cd which is fully backward compatible with the Slackware repository but also has its own repositories with dependency support, you can find them here http://www.salixos.org. Salix is not a livecd, although they have one its in beta, you might want to take a look at Slack Mini Server here http://sms.it-ccs.com/ or the myriad of other Slack based live-cd's

jdixon

Jan 22, 2010
3:15 PM EDT
> But probably other people already made Slack/Zen based rescueCD's, should look for that first.

Slax seems to have directions for running from USB, and is supposedly very customizable. They appear to have a page which walks you through building your own customized version: http://www.slax.org/build.php
hkwint

Jan 22, 2010
8:40 PM EDT
Thanks for all the help again, it sounds interesting and easier than Gentoo. Will let you folks now if I succeeded.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!