Gimp 2.8 == Gimp 2.6.4

Story: GIMP 2.8 Scheduled For Release Post-ChristmasTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
vect

Jan 24, 2010
4:36 PM EDT
In order to make a gimp 2.8 release possible sometime next year, many important features planned for gimp 2.8 have been sidelined.

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkele...

Only so much quality development can be done for no money. I'm surprised they got as far as a gimp 2.6 release.
bigg

Jan 24, 2010
6:23 PM EDT
> Only so much quality development can be done for no money.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could possibly imagine that FOSS software will ever be competitive with software that comes from companies like Microsoft. It'll never happen.
vect

Jan 24, 2010
8:08 PM EDT
The people working on gimp are extreme FOSS zealots. They refuse to use donations to pay the developers but they will _maybe_ purchase hardware and plane tickets for some developers.

Why would anyone waste time working on that project? If you know C really well and have any creativity whatsoever, why not invest in yourself and write your own original software? Why give your time to people who don't care about you or your welfare?

Gimp should pay attention to what Ardour did. Ardour ransomed it's future for the donations of its users and is now generating a monthly income that is fairly impressive.
bigg

Jan 24, 2010
8:22 PM EDT
> The people working on gimp are extreme FOSS zealots. They refuse to use donations to pay the developers but they will _maybe_ purchase hardware and plane tickets for some developers.

While I don't see what being an extreme FOSS zealot has to do with paying developers (RMS paid his bills by selling free software when he started) it would have been better to say that in your first post.

Nonetheless, how many projects are there for which the developers only work for pay that comes from donations? It might help to have corporate sponsors, but then maybe they do (I don't know) and that's different from using donations to pay for development. Linux kernel development and the various DEs would be in serious trouble if they had to rely on development being paid for by donations.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!