Nope

Story: Time to dump Internet Explorer for something safer?Total Replies: 11
Author Content
ComputerBob

Jan 25, 2010
1:16 PM EDT
The time to dump Internet Explorer was back in 2004, when Firefox 1.0 was released.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 25, 2010
1:34 PM EDT
Heck, I was pulling Netscape down from their FTP servers before I.E. existed, and have never used it by choice for more than to download Netscape/Firefox.

So the time to dump I.E. was really 1996.
ComputerBob

Jan 25, 2010
1:49 PM EDT
Well, if you're going to go that far back, I was using Mosaic back in 1993. ;)

I just don't remember browsers being designed for or concerned about safety and security until Firefox.

But either way, it's silly to be asking if now is the time to dump IE for something safer. ;)
Bob_Robertson

Jan 25, 2010
1:56 PM EDT
> it's silly to be asking if now is the time...

Yep, much like asking "Is it time to stop beating your wife?"
ComputerBob

Jan 25, 2010
2:03 PM EDT
Coming soon: Is it time to dump your 80286 processor for something more powerful?"
tuxchick

Jan 25, 2010
2:17 PM EDT
Thanks for the laughs :)
herzeleid

Jan 25, 2010
3:56 PM EDT
What's with all these half measures? Why stop at internet explorer? I kicked microsoft to the curb years ago. Come on in, the water's fine.
bigg

Jan 25, 2010
4:25 PM EDT
> Why stop at internet explorer?

Exactly, Firefox on Windows is still something on Windows.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 25, 2010
5:11 PM EDT
IE 7 and 8 are both sludge-like on my 512 MB RAM, Celeron 3 GHz XP system (only the best for me, right?) ...

Even Google Chrome has trouble redrawing the windows after I run it for awhile. Oddly enough, only FF and Opera provide a decent user experience on this platform.
ComputerBob

Jan 25, 2010
5:36 PM EDT
Quoting:Why stop at internet explorer?
Don't worry -- I suspect that the author will discover Linux 6-10 years from now.
hkwint

Jan 25, 2010
5:46 PM EDT
I beg to differ, the time to ditch IE (when you had to work with Windows and Linux was not an option) was Opera 1, in 1996. Probably before I ever heard about Linux or free software I was happily enjoying 'ad free text-only browsing' in Opera over our 2kbit phone line using Ctrl+G and G. And of course mouse gestures.

Phoenix didn't have those futures, even while it was released _seven_ years later. If Firefox wasn't free and Opera closed, there would have been no reason to use FF, because I've never been a big fanboy of it anyway. Though my name was below the FF-add a few years ago, because I was one of the only people donating, but nonetheless Opera still is more stable and I would immediately happily ditch Firefox if Opera was open sourced (and had plugins).
ComputerBob

Jan 25, 2010
5:57 PM EDT
Quoting:I would immediately happily ditch Firefox if Opera was open sourced (and had plugins).
I'm sure that you're not alone in feeling that way.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!