Great calculators, but...

Story: 7 of the Best Free Linux CalculatorsTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
NoCaDrummer

Jan 31, 2010
2:37 PM EDT
Gee, some of these calculators sound like they'd be really great. As an HP calculator user since 1972 (yes, the HP-35) and continuing to the present, I thought that Nonpareil would be great. But then I find only the source code is available for it. That's like telling me that there's an incredible car out there, then giving me the parts list. Yes, I could build it myself (either the program or the car), but most folks won't want to do that. Ikea furniture is challenge enough for most people, so compiling an application is well beyond the average user. Without an executable (or at least RPM, DEB or other "install" file) Nonpareil will not gain much acceptance. The same is true for other Linux programs out there. Source code is great for those who have the time and the inclination to compile, but for the general public, it's a "show stopper". Until the Community realizes that, Linux really WILL be viewed as a "geek-only" domain.
azerthoth

Jan 31, 2010
5:24 PM EDT
Its up to the distro not the programmer to create the binary. If you want one for your favorite distro get on them about it, or make one and ship it around yourself. Personally I have no issues at all with using source and find it annoying when it is hidden behind links to all the random binaries.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 31, 2010
6:21 PM EDT
NoCa,

I was directed to "galculator" for RPN functionality. It does it, and seems to work well, maybe as a fellow HP user you would like it too. I haven't read the article, so I don't know of "galculator" is listed in it.
montezuma

Jan 31, 2010
8:32 PM EDT
It's your lucky day (if you use Ubuntu or Debian that is). I compiled it and created a deb file. Works great on my Ubuntu box. Very cool interface.

Get it here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/344092184/nonpareil_0.79-1_i386....

Install with

sudo dpkg -i nonpareil_0.79-1_i386.deb

Enjoy!

Hey doesn't that give the lie to linux being hard to use?????

Edit: I forgot how cool these things were. The hp41 series programmable calculators were very nice indeed.
jdixon

Feb 01, 2010
12:32 AM EDT
> Without an executable (or at least RPM, DEB or other "install" file) Nonpareil will not gain much acceptance.

As montezuma shows, it takes but a single user to create a deb, rpm, or txz file. Most users won't even care if it meets the strict criteria required for an official package, as long as they can install it. I used to use checkinstall for just such a purpose, but I'm not sure if it's still usable or not.
NoCaDrummer

Feb 01, 2010
2:36 AM EDT
Thank you all for your positive and helpful suggestions:

azerthoth - I WILL suggest it to my favorite distro. (gcalctool is just "okay".) Bob - that particular one IS listed, and I'm sure it's fine, but it's a little... plain. I loved the idea that Nonpareil LOOKS like the HP calculators I'm used to. Besides, I've got YEARS of programs for some of these (some were published by HP) calculators. montezuma - I'll give it a look in a day or two (it's late at night for me). Thanks! jdixon - you're right. But I think azer is on to something. Try to get it in a distro, where there's no "hunting". G-d knows you're not going to find it on CNet.

Thanks again everyone!
hkwint

Feb 01, 2010
9:10 AM EDT
Indeed, that's probably the problem:

Creating a package is not that hard (while not that easy either maybe).

Making sure it's included in your distro is.
bigg

Feb 01, 2010
9:40 AM EDT
This is another example of why the Arch way is so helpful. It's easy to make a build script, and anyone can upload it to the AUR. nonpareil is in AUR.

The problem with checkinstall is that it is not a good way to build packages that you plan to share with others.
flufferbeer

Feb 01, 2010
8:12 PM EDT
@montezuma, "Install with sudo dpkg -i nonpareil_0.79-1_i386.deb"

Nah, doesn't work at all.

Using KK Ubuntu and going to that linked site, I get some b%*&^t site prompting for a Premier Account membership. I choose the Free User, download the .deb file to my home directory, open a terminal window and run the above command. A bunch of dpkg errors and it croaks... scratch this off my list until it gets a better binary!! I'll just stick with the just okay gcalctool.
yaye

Feb 01, 2010
10:52 PM EDT
Just registered to say "Thanks" to montezuma for compiling the source code for Ubuntu. I read the calculator story a couple days ago and wanted to try Nonpareil, but didn't want to spend time relearning how to compile it and make a .deb . I installed your .deb on Ubuntu 9.04 and it works without a problems so far. Now I have an HP 32E on my desktop. I have the real one in my dresser drawer. It still works 30 years after I bought it. Thanks again.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!