Internet Drivers License

Story: Microsoft’s Creative DestructionTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
montezuma

Feb 04, 2010
9:18 PM EDT
WTF. MS really are in trouble. Mundie's brilliant idea:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/02/04/2249241/Craig-Mundie-...
jdixon

Feb 04, 2010
9:39 PM EDT
> Mundie's brilliant idea:

You know, I don't think he's thought the matter through very carefully. The various state governments not only license drivers, they register cars. And most of them have a required safety inspection. Does he really think any version of Windows could pass the equivalent of a vehicle safety inspection?
TxtEdMacs

Feb 04, 2010
9:59 PM EDT
Quoting:Mundie's brilliant idea:
I never liked the song, nor could I understand why anyone would like its tone and beat. Nonetheless, it seems so appropriate I can only ask: "Who Let the Dog Out?"!

YBT
phsolide

Feb 05, 2010
12:15 AM EDT
Mundie probably doesn't really know any better, but car analogies to the internet ("Information Superhighway") made it on to the "not hot" list at the turn of the century.

But I'm sure his reasoning goes like this: One person = one computer = at least one Windows License ($$$!), so nobody will object to an Information Superhighway Driver's license! It can be part of the Windows Software ecology, too, like all those MCSEs, the testing agencies, the teaching agencies, the book authors, etc etc! What a great idea!
gus3

Feb 05, 2010
12:46 AM EDT
@jdixon:

Some of Slashdot's comments to this story agree with you, strongly.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/02/04/2249241/
azerthoth

Feb 05, 2010
1:11 AM EDT
What would bother me is, with the way MS can weasel around, can you conceive that they would ensure that theirs was the only product that could pass such a test?
gus3

Feb 05, 2010
2:46 AM EDT
I had an answer to that question ready, but then I realized I'd better not give them any ideas.

Quoting:Loose lips Sink ships.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 05, 2010
8:28 PM EDT
I must say I am a bit worried about what is going to happen with the shift to IPv6, as all those windows machines sitting semi-blissfully behind NAT routers in homes and small offices suddenly get world-accessable addresses.

I recently had to turn on DMZ on my cheap home router in order to get an IPv6 tunnel working, because it didn't know about "protocol 41", only TCP and UDP. The ensuing continuous flood of bogus packets made my wifi nearly unusable. So off goes DMZ, away goes the tunnel, and I am again blissfully quiet behind the accidental "security" of NAT.

Yes, time to buy a new router. Belkin is rudamentary at best, and I'd like a router capable of accepting the IPv6 tunnel itself. The search is on.

Maybe an "internet driver's license" isn't such a bad idea, if one is going to drive a piece of crud like Windows.
gus3

Feb 05, 2010
8:42 PM EDT
@Bob:

You may have needed to enable other protocols to go with it. There are several IPv6-specific protocols listed in /etc/protocols (43, 44, 58, 59, and 60).

And maybe not. I don't know. I only know that IPv6 seems to be a lot more active in its route management.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 06, 2010
9:43 AM EDT
Gus, it was just to enable pass-through for the Hurricane Electric tunnel, not full routing.

Suddenlink does not even mention IPv6 on their ISP service web site.
jdixon

Feb 07, 2010
6:58 PM EDT
> The ensuing continuous flood of bogus packets made my wifi nearly unusable.

Bob, simply turning on something as relatively innocuous as ssh in your gateway gives you enough attack hits to make parsing your logs an entertaining activity. :(

> Gus, it was just to enable pass-through for the Hurricane Electric tunnel, not full routing.

My wife hosts her site with Hurricane Electric, fwiw.
azerthoth

Feb 07, 2010
11:15 PM EDT
@jd which is why ssh listens on a port up in the transport range at home ... way up into the transport range.
jdixon

Feb 08, 2010
8:03 AM EDT
> ...which is why ssh listens on a port up in the transport range at home ...

I've considered that, but settled for locking down the IP addresses allowed with tcp wrapper. I'm only using it to connect from a single location. I'll be turning it off early next month.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 08, 2010
2:32 PM EDT
Well, I've ordered a Linksys WRT54GL, mentioned on the Hurricane Electric site as "just works". And as it is proclaimed as utterly configurable, can have OpenWRT on it, and even, so I am told, run Linux (or was that just the 54G?), I don't think I'll be too upset.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!