The Kiwis thump the Kangas again.

Story: New approach sought with open source desktopsTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Ridcully

Feb 05, 2010
6:13 PM EDT
The move by these councils (and apparently there are lots of them putting their hands up) is just another step that has begun in NZ to move to FOSS - and it mirrors Europe.....I have seen the reports on the NZ high school (Albany HS in Auckland) that is not only using Linux but is also finding members of its own students body that are now so well trained in Linux they have been able to put the school on video at minimal costs, where the same video package in Australia costs at least $6000 per school. Admittedly, the NZ Education Dept. is not yet assisting schools to move to Linux, but they are, I am sure, noting the enormous cost savings this High School is making. http://www.cio.com.au/article/333686/nz_school_ditches_micro...

The sad part of this, is that Australia still has its head firmly in the sand at almost all levels of government and doesn't even want to know of the savings and security that can be had by movement to FOSS. Recently myself and a Linux friend prepared a comprehensive Linux package that would have gone to a critically important member of the Queensland Parliament. After the package was completed and ready to be presented, the member decided that it would not be even looked at, because there was to be a report submitted to that member on IT in Queensland government......but of course, the report would be compiled by vested interests within the Government's own IT section.......and I leave it to the gentle reader to deduce which monopolistic company would be favoured in the report.

This is just another example of where Australia will eventually have to play catchup with our cousins across the Tasman...But good on yer Kiwis........go for it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!