No F-Spot or Gthumb in Ubuntu 9.10?

Story: Ubuntu 9.10 and GNOME 2.28: Advancing Past MehTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 09, 2010
1:05 AM EDT
I upgraded, so F-Spot was baked in. But this would be a good time to try Gthumb. Does more than F-Spot, less than digiKam, but looks better than both. And no pesky databases.
tracyanne

Feb 09, 2010
1:44 AM EDT
I've replaced F-Spot for several people now. They all hate F-Spot. The problem is they can't find their photos in the file system when they go to email them. or upload them, or just generally view them via the file system.
cabreh

Feb 09, 2010
3:57 AM EDT
Strange. F-Spot has been on every Ubuntu LiveCD I've used. The reason I know is I have to go in and remove it from every install I do. Along with Tomboy and all that mono crap.

Gthumb isn't normally there. I install it and digikam (and k3b for burning).

Sander_Marechal

Feb 09, 2010
4:21 AM EDT
One more echo in the "I hate F-Spot" camp here. I really hate photo apps that keep their own databases. It causes no end of trouble.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 09, 2010
5:26 AM EDT
I couldn't agree more Sander. When I switched from Windows to Linux one of the things that took me a long time to sort through and organize during and afterward the move was my photos because of the different photo management programs I had tried out like Picasa and such. No photo management program I have ever tried has ever found all of my pics or not given me trouble in just trying to render them.

It was the separate databases of copies they created that I as a novice did not know they had done, some at lower resolution, some just thumbnails, not to mention the straggler photos I had inadvertently scattered amongst them. It was all my own fault I know.

I got it all straightened out and I have refused to use one since, not F-Spot, digiKam, Gthumb or any others will I mess with. I only use my file manager(s) now, I have just one copy in the one place I put it. Period.

Not one of the file managers I have ever used has ever failed to find and show me a photo I knew was there...unless I forgot where I put it, or had it at all, or dreamt I had it there.

Which of course has never happened. ;-)
DiBosco

Feb 09, 2010
6:08 AM EDT
Quoting:I got it all straightened out and I have refused to use one since, not F-Spot, digiKam, Gthumb or any others will I mess with. I only use my file manager(s) now, I have just one copy in the one place I put it. Period.

This is what I do too, Scott. If you make sure you have a good directory structure with clearly named directories it's a perfectly good way of doing it (and I have tens of thousands of photos from athletics events now). I just get konqueror to open when I plug my camera in and pull the raw images off the compact flash card onto the HDD. I have tried digiKam and (in the past Picassa) and find them dog slow. It's actually fine to use gqview or, ahem, Gwenview to then look at thumbs quickly. gqview will even show raw format files and you can right click to edit in the GIMP if you wish to crop or otherwise manipulate the images. I can do rapid batch processing of my photos with phatch for resizing, sharpening etc for putting JPEGs on my website.

I'm not sure what F-Spot's like, but I won't use Mono on principle.
jdixon

Feb 09, 2010
6:32 AM EDT
> Strange. F-Spot has been on every Ubuntu LiveCD I've used.

It's on the clean 9.10 install I put on a machine at work (strictly for testing purposes, of course), and that was a default install, so I'm not sure why TC doesn't have it. Of course, given the chorus of complaints about it, maybe she should be glad it's not there.
tuxchick

Feb 09, 2010
10:31 AM EDT
Tis puzzling, this was a clean install. I'll boot up the liveCD later and see if F-spot is on it.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 09, 2010
12:24 PM EDT
F-Spot is designed to look and act like OS X's iPhoto. Losing my iPhoto database and having to use a third-party tool to extract the files from the thicket of database-created directories (losing all database properties attributed to the photos) was a real treat.

Gthumb works on whatever directory setup you create. It's a photo viewer "with benefits," as the kids might say (OK, they'd never say that, but I will).
gus3

Feb 09, 2010
1:01 PM EDT
Quoting:F-Spot is designed to look and act like OS X's iPhoto.
It's also designed as a "see, Mono isn't so bad" app.

But, as I discovered last week (see sorta-OT thread), the underlying machine has nothing to do with carrying out a particular calculation. Mono isn't what provides the functionality, it's merely the environment, and Miguel can take a flying leap.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 09, 2010
3:10 PM EDT
For me, neither F-Spot nor Tomboy Notes is a must-have.

I don't really have a use for Tomboy, and if I did I have Gnote, which is designed to be a non-Mono alternative.

F-Spot is just too problematic from a pure functionality standpoint.

I've never used Banshee, but I presume that it is better than Rhythmbox and just might be a reason to use Mono.

In case you're curious about it, here is a list of Mono apps http://www.mono-project.com/Screenshots
gus3

Feb 09, 2010
3:20 PM EDT
Oh goody, a list of programs to avoid.

Wait, what's this.... SKYNET?!? You mean the Terminator's A.I. ran on C#?

Evil indeed. But I suppose Microsoft's security record means John Connor wouldn't have any trouble PWN1N6 a Terminator.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 09, 2010
5:10 PM EDT
The deal-breaker is that seemingly most or all of the Mono development takes place at Novell, and users of Suse have a level of patent protection that the rest of the Linux world does not.

I don't know the full details, but it doesn't smell right to me.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!