How rude

Story: Google takes on Facebook and Twitter with network siteTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
jacog

Feb 10, 2010
2:30 PM EDT
It automatically set me to "Follow" 8 people and two people to follow me, and I can't find any way to disable the service. Urk! I don't do Facebook etc. on purpose... because I don't want to. Certainly don't like it being forced on me by what is supposed to be my email provider.

EDIT: I found the off switch.
gus3

Feb 10, 2010
3:10 PM EDT
Where? Others may wish to do the same.
jacog

Feb 10, 2010
5:10 PM EDT
It's one of the tiny little links at the bottom of the screen on your default Inbox view. I have heard that it only works once you have removed everyone from your Follow list.
tracyanne

Feb 10, 2010
5:37 PM EDT
Yet another reason why I won't be using Google's "services"
azerthoth

Feb 10, 2010
5:56 PM EDT
TA, I think we have finally found some common ground, a firm belief that there needs to be a form of functional 'anti-social networking' (other than IRC)
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 10, 2010
9:05 PM EDT
Quoting:'anti-social networking'

Sign me up!
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 10, 2010
9:18 PM EDT
I see no real use for it for my part. I like having Facebook separate from my inbox, having chat in g-mail is a double edged sword as it is for me. Between LXer and Facebook and g-chat, I don't need any more socializing..;-)
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 10, 2010
9:27 PM EDT
I'm always threatening to actually use Gmail, but I still haven't done it.
gus3

Feb 10, 2010
10:26 PM EDT
Also, tip for Yahoo! email:

Turn off the stupid Ajax jazz (incl. the text animation at the top, and the IM status on the left) by adding "noajax=", separated by an ampersand from other CGI parameters in the URL. They're nice enough to leave it in there as you navigate.

The drop-down address book list in the "To:" and "Cc:" still work.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 11, 2010
1:26 AM EDT
I use a lot of Google stuff, I've used g-mail since you needed an invite and it had 2gigs of storage (It now has almost 8gigs), I have phone lists and bookmark files and band spreadsheets in Docs. Calendar and Reader both have become indispensable to me.

For example, I got my band-mates all to use Calendar and Docs, and with the shared function it has made it a snap for all five of us to know what is going on and keep it updated. And Reader has saved me a ton of time in getting the news I want.

For my part, once you can 'Google' yourself, does it matter what flavor of web apps you use as long as you like them? Data security and privacy issues are a joke at that point in my mind. So the argument over which companies are more trustworthy becomes moot. Some people love Yahoo, some MSN, some Google etc, its just different flavors of ice cream.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!