Help with broken Cisco Router

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 19
Author Content
techiem2

Feb 14, 2010
12:10 AM EDT
My friend has 3 Cisco routers (2 2500 and 1 2600 series) that we are attempting to get working for my labs for class so I don't have to purchase time at an online provider (*shudder*). We got through the first lab that needed 2 routers fine, but for my other labs I need all three working.

One of the 2500 series routers is stuck in Router(boot) mode and we have been thus far unable to find any way to fix it. We boot it up and have configured the serial interface to talk to the other router to pull the image. All of the pages say to configure the router and then use "copy ftp/tftp/etc flash" to reload ios from the remote server. However the system will not allow us to use any of those copy methods (they all give invalid command).

Any suggestions? We are both rather lost at this point.

chalbersma

Feb 14, 2010
12:12 AM EDT
I think Cisco uses a FreeBSD bottom. Maybe dump and restore would work for you...
tuxchick

Feb 14, 2010
12:58 AM EDT
Do they have a button to reset to factory defaults? Usually it's one of those weird little deals you poke with a straightened paper clip.
techiem2

Feb 14, 2010
1:02 AM EDT
We figured out how to get it to boot the image over tftp. We have also discovered that the router is apparently missing the flash. :P
jdixon

Feb 14, 2010
1:09 AM EDT
Well, a search on Cisco 2500 tftp invalid command gives me more information than I need. :)

The pertinent details appear to be at this page: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2500/2501/sof...

And the important details are as follows:

Each time you power on the router, it goes through the following boot sequence:

1 The router goes through power-on self-test diagnostics to verify basic operation of the CPU, memory, and interfaces.

2 The system bootstrap software (boot image) executes and searches for a valid Cisco IOS image (router operating system software). The source of the Cisco IOS image (Flash memory or a Trivial File Transfer Protocol [TFTP] server) is determined by the configuration register setting. The factory-default setting for the configuration register is 0x2102, which indicates that the router should attempt to load a Cisco IOS image from Flash memory.

3 If after five attempts a valid Cisco IOS image is not found in Flash memory, the router reverts to boot ROM mode (which is used to install or upgrade a Cisco IOS image).

4 If a valid Cisco IOS image is found, then the router searches for a valid configuration file.

5 If a valid configuration file is not found in NVRAM, the router runs the System Configuration Dialog so you can configure it manually. For normal router operation, there must be a valid Cisco IOS image in Flash memory and a configuration file in NVRAM.

From your description, you're not in boot ROM mode, so it's finding what it considers a valid IOS image and loading it, but it's not working. So I'd say you need to enter ROM mode and replace the IOS image from there. As to how to do so, I have no idea. :(

However, the following pages may be helpful:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/1003525;jsessionid=ED...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/product...

Please note the comment in the second step 2 of the second link. In the worst case, It's possible you have a hardware problem.

I hope this is of some help, and not something you've already looked at.
jdixon

Feb 14, 2010
1:13 AM EDT
> We have also discovered that the router is apparently missing the flash. :P

Ah, I should have refreshed before commenting. Obviously, if there's no flash, the router can't load it's IOS image from flash. :)

From my first link, you can configure the router to tftp an IOS image each time it boots, but I don't know if you want to do that or not.
techiem2

Feb 14, 2010
1:18 AM EDT
Yeah, we're just gonna work around it for now. He's gonna get it booted back up over tftp for now and order a flash chip so it's actually usable properly.
gus3

Mar 07, 2010
11:31 PM EDT
Buh-bye counterfeiter spammer.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 08, 2010
12:09 AM EDT
Thanks man, I punted that post..
techiem2

Mar 08, 2010
12:10 AM EDT
I don't think knockoff shoes are gonna fix a missing flash chip....
gus3

Mar 08, 2010
12:15 AM EDT
Given the thread, I'm surprised he/she/it wasn't pimping counterfeit Cisco routers.
jdixon

Mar 08, 2010
12:41 AM EDT
> I'm surprised he/she/it wasn't pimping counterfeit Cisco routers.

I saw where even NewEgg was apparently bitten by some counterfeit Intel processors. No word on exactly how it happened (the Register, from memory).
techiem2

Mar 08, 2010
12:43 AM EDT
Yeah, the story has been going around a bit lately. Apparently one of their suppliers sent them the batch of bad ones, and from what I've read, was sending C&D orders to sites reporting it. hehe. I'm guessing NewEgg isn't too happy with that supplier right now....
bigg

Mar 08, 2010
6:14 AM EDT
> from what I've read, was sending C&D orders to sites reporting it

If true, I might have to stop buying from them.
jdixon

Mar 08, 2010
10:57 AM EDT
> If true, I might have to stop buying from them.

I believe techiem2 means the supplier was sending C&D orders, not NewEgg.
bigg

Mar 08, 2010
11:34 AM EDT
> the supplier was sending C&D orders

OK, I read it incorrectly.
techiem2

Mar 08, 2010
12:14 PM EDT
Yeah, as I understand it the supplier was sending the C&Ds.

NewEgg was busy getting ahold of their customers to get them real CPUs.
gus3

Mar 08, 2010
12:19 PM EDT
Does it apply to boxed CPU's only?
techiem2

Mar 08, 2010
12:30 PM EDT
That's what it sounded like. Apparently it was a batch of fake/demo/something I7 boxed cpus.
techiem2

Mar 08, 2010
10:33 PM EDT
Newegg just Twitter posted the link to their Facebook (eww) update on the CPU fiasco:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/neweggcom/official-update-on-t...

So yes, they were counterfeit. It was a different supplier than originally reported. They are no longer working with that supplier. The legal investigation is going on.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!