Haven't read the post but...

Story: Valentine's Day Call to ActionTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
techiem2

Feb 14, 2010
8:17 PM EDT
From the teaser:
Quoting:The very same heroes that restore a backup after we drag and dropped the /bin directory into the trashcan?

?????? I certainly hope no organization is running a distro setup on their desktops that lets the users delete system files......

gus3

Feb 14, 2010
8:38 PM EDT
Windows did for a long time.

My ex dished out a harsh lesson in reality to someone who went into a MUD looking for free Windows tech support. She got 2,000 experience points from the MUD senior admin for it, too.

TANSTAAFL, mister.
ComputerBob

Feb 14, 2010
8:41 PM EDT
The writer must work for one of the thousands of organizations that run Puppy Linux. ;)

(For anyone who doesn't already know, Puppy Linux users always run as root).
KernelShepard

Feb 14, 2010
8:52 PM EDT
techiem2: It's just Miguel's sense of humor - obviously that's not a likely scenario on *nix (at least not if the admin is competent).
hkwint

Feb 15, 2010
5:39 AM EDT
Once I accidentaly deleted /bin/mkdir. Which is kind of fun, because the system still keeps working - but whenever you try to install 'binutils' again it fails (on Gentoo) because it cannot create a build directory to compile and prepare stuff. It would have been great if I had some sort of backup, but obviously I didn't.
gus3

Feb 15, 2010
12:31 PM EDT
@hans:

cd /tmp lynx

and then download the binutils source code, untar it, find the mkdir source, and build it manually with "gcc".

cp mkdir /usr/local/bin/

then reinstall it in Gentoo, confirm it's working, and

rm /usr/local/bin/mkdir

And I haven't used Gentoo in, what, four years?
techiem2

Feb 15, 2010
12:37 PM EDT
I had a friend accidentally nuke /etc on one of his servers once... Fortunately he realized it before rebooting and had a backup or another server to copy stuff from.
penguinist

Feb 15, 2010
3:10 PM EDT
Speaking of keeping backup history, I've started using etckeeper (git for /etc) and am loving it. I keep backups too, of course, but it's pretty handy to be able to see the history of all your changes to your config files. etckeeper stays out of your way by running an automatic commit each night. Of course you can also do your own explicit commits if you want. If you need to browse changes, you can use "tig" (think of it like a mutt for git).

yum install etckeeper apt-get install etckeeper

jezuch

Feb 16, 2010
5:12 AM EDT
Quoting:it's pretty handy to be able to see the history of all your changes

And at first it might be surprising how much can change upon a simple upgrade!

Yeah, I'm loving etckeeper too :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!