Why doesn't that surprise me?

Story: PHPers prefer Windows desktop to LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
theBeez

Feb 18, 2010
4:23 AM EDT
I'm a dedicated Linux user/developer, but most of my web programming I do for work. I know very little organizations that use Linux workstations, so I do most of my programming on Windows workstations. The backend differs, however. I've worked against IIS and Apache, Windows and Linux. The development environment too. I've used mostly FOSS stuff to edit PHP scripts. The PHP libraries and add-ins are mostly FOSS.

To me it's just an illustration how mixed our current corporate environments are: it's just not a matter of simply FOSS *or* ClosedSource anymore - nor do developers have much choice when working in a corporate environment.

I also see this in other ways, e.g. my 4tH compiler has been developed on at least four different platforms (MS-DOS, Coherent, Windows, Linux). I really can't tell which part was developed where - and does it matter?
herzeleid

Feb 18, 2010
2:47 PM EDT
Despite the misleading title, the actual contents of the article seem to be saying something else -

If you look at the percentages, 42% of the surveyed developers use windows, 38.5% linux, and 19.1% OSX - in other words, linux usage is much more prevalent in the php developer community than the market as a whole.

This is in line with what I've observed - developers being a bit more computer savvy than the average user, and having more exposure than the average user to concepts such as non-microsoft operating systems, it is to be expected that developer platforms would show a higher proportion of non-microsoft OSes than the general public.

I would be thrilled if the market percentages as a whole followed these proportions!
theBeez

Feb 18, 2010
4:23 PM EDT
@herzeleid I am already 100% linux. ;-) It has been like that for 10 years.

Mutter
herzeleid

Feb 18, 2010
5:18 PM EDT
In our house (which also houses a small business or two) we have 2 servers, which run linux. We also have 7 clients: 2 linux laptops, 2 linux desktops, 1 OSX desktop and 2 OSX laptops.

So yeah, we're microsoft-free, and loving it.
tracyanne

Feb 18, 2010
7:27 PM EDT
Quoting:nor do developers have much choice when working in a corporate environment.

exactly
herzeleid

Feb 18, 2010
8:19 PM EDT
Quoting:nor do developers have much choice when working in a corporate environment.
There is always a choice, and every choice comes with a cost. It all depends on what's important to you.

In every job interview I've had since the mid 90s, one thing that I've always taken pains to clarify is the question of what tools I will use. I've turned down jobs which sounded promising at first, but which on further investigation revealed a requirement of mandatory use of microsoft windows. I've only accepted jobs where I can use the tools which make me effective, which in my case includes linux.

If I were ever in a situation where the only IT jobs to be had were microsoft windows oriented, that's when I change careers, you can bank on it.
tracyanne

Feb 18, 2010
9:18 PM EDT
Quoting:In every job interview I've had since the mid 90s, one thing that I've always taken pains to clarify is the question of what tools I will use. I've turned down jobs which sounded promising at first, but which on further investigation revealed a requirement of mandatory use of microsoft windows. I've only accepted jobs where I can use the tools which make me effective, which in my case includes linux.

Good for you.

Not everyone has the luxury of that sort of choice. For some it's program on Windows or find another line of work. No there is not always choice, or at least the sort of choice you have the luxury to make.

The fact of the matter is that in most cases the choices are Buckley's or none.
gus3

Feb 18, 2010
11:31 PM EDT
Quoting:For some it's program on Windows or find another line of work.
Hear, hear.

One nice thing about factory work, at the end of the shift, you clock out and your life is your own once again.

I pondered contacting a uni that once offered me a full ride, until yesterday, that is. I saw they are now an MSDN academic partner, and their info tech course catalog was "how to use Microsoft programs" from the bottom up.

No thanks. If I'm going to sell my soul, I'll hold out for a better offer.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!