Only Zend users

Story: PHP Developers Prefer Using Windows to Build Enterprise Apps: StudyTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
amadensor

Feb 18, 2010
3:56 PM EDT
Only the Zend users, the ones buying their development tools and acceleration tools, were counted. I do not know whether it would be more or less Windows if you included everyone.
tracyanne

Feb 18, 2010
7:26 PM EDT
and these are the users most likely to be working in an environment where Windows is the predominant or even only Desktop
herzeleid

Feb 18, 2010
8:10 PM EDT
Quoting:and these are the users most likely to be working in an environment where Windows is the predominant or even only Desktop
The information in the article seems to be at odds with that statement.

It indicates that the majority of php developers surveyed actually prefer non-microsoft OSes, with a minority of 42% choosing microsoft windows. This stands in stark contrast with the profile of average, non-technical folks, of whom over 90% are microsoft windows users.

So, far from being more microsoft centric, the php developers surveyed are much less microsoft-centric than the average computer user. This is in accord with what I've seen at a number of large US companies: The rank and file use microsoft windows and are unaware that there is any other OS, while the techies tend to be concentrations of linux users.
tracyanne

Feb 18, 2010
8:13 PM EDT
gus http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/30334/ and http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/30329/
Sander_Marechal

Feb 19, 2010
7:34 AM EDT
Quoting:Only the Zend users, the ones buying their development tools and acceleration tools, were counted.

The article says that people using the Zend Framework were interviewed. The Zend Framework is an open source PHP framework that anyone can use (much like CakePHP, Kohana, CodeIgniter, Symphony, etcetera).

What I am surprised about a bit is how high Linux usage is. This survey is about the OS on the developer's computer, not the OS on which the app will be deployed (that's still 85% Linux). For many, the best way to develop PHP apps with Zend Framework, Zend Server, etcetera is to use Zend Studio, a PHP IDE. But that only runs on Windows. In fact, according to the survey 18% prefers Vim :-)
herzeleid

Feb 20, 2010
11:45 PM EDT
Quoting:For many, the best way to develop PHP apps with Zend Framework, Zend Server, etcetera is to use Zend Studio, a PHP IDE. But that only runs on Windows.

Actually, zend studio is available for the big 3 desktop platforms: peecee, mac and linux.
gus3

Feb 21, 2010
12:21 AM EDT
@herz:

You mean "peecee" isn't Linux? What is it then?

Or were you being facetious?
herzeleid

Feb 21, 2010
3:48 AM EDT
@gus3 - you're joking, right, or did the spelling of pc as "peecee" throw you?

At any rate, all of the cross platform software I can think of (those that a least cover the big 3) lists the platforms as "pc, mac and linux", which is perfectly logical and correct. Microsoft windows comes from the pc culture and heritage, while linux comes from the unix culture and heritage - with all the drastic differences those two different cultures bring with them. (despite the superficial similarities in the appearance of the GUI, which is almost inevitable given the universal input and display hardware which exists today)

Linux, as unix in general, is rather platform neutral in theory, though the economies of scale have made the x86 architecture the real sweet spot in terms of market share, and thus applications, but linux can and does run on all sorts of platforms from wristwatches to supercomputers.

I see a real difference between unix, mac and pc, because although mac is also based on a unix core, apple have departed from the unix philosophy in several ways, and OSX has carved out its own unique niche.

Sander_Marechal

Feb 21, 2010
8:23 AM EDT
Quoting:Actually, zend studio is available for the big 3 desktop platforms: peecee, mac and linux.

That's new to me. It used to be just Windows last time I tried it. Not that I liked it. I'm with the 18% Vim crowd :-)
techiem2

Feb 21, 2010
1:50 PM EDT
hehe.

Midnight Commander for my smaller stuff, Eclipse with PHP plugins for my large work projects.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!