In other news

Story: Windows metrics source lies about identityTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
hkwint

Feb 22, 2010
11:03 AM EDT
In other news, TxtEdMacs confesses he / she / it's the very same person as Randall C. Kennedy. LXer asked Our Buddy Tux for comment, but he / she / it wasn't able to comment because he / she / it locked itself in the closet.
TxtEdMacs

Feb 22, 2010
11:31 AM EDT
hk,

Sorry, it was not me. However, I am truly envious. I wish I had such a deep set of technical knowledge to have pulled that off. Maybe later when I have finished my first book on lisp*, I will disguise myself and take a crack at it.

As always,

YBT

P.S. So as not to misinform my fans, I work in my basement office not out of a closet.

* Once when I wanted to add a custom feature to emacs when I was on an assignment using Unix, I thought lisp was a useless** language that made programming more difficult than was necessary.

** At the time I did not know elisp was not lisp and it had restrictions that seem absent in the latter.
hkwint

Feb 23, 2010
11:38 AM EDT
Reflective programmer huh? So basically you made a self-learning self-healing self-improving bot to be Txt - and multiple other aliases on the web. And then using evil Emacs.... Now I understand!
gus3

Feb 23, 2010
11:49 AM EDT
A novice of the temple once approached the Chief Priest with a question.

"Master, does Emacs have the Buddha nature?" the novice asked.

The Chief Priest had been in the temple for many years and could be relied upon to know these things. He thought for several minutes before replying.

"I don't see why not. It's got bloody well everything else."

With that, the Chief Priest went to lunch. The novice suddenly achieved enlightenment, several years later.

Commentary:

His Master is kind, Answering his FAQ quickly, With thought and sarcasm.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 23, 2010
11:53 AM EDT
I am inspired to dig into the stacks and find _The Tao of Programming_ and _The Zen of Programming_.

Thus spake the Master Programmer: If a program be only one line long, some day it will have to be maintained.
TxtEdMacs

Feb 23, 2010
1:57 PM EDT
hk,

A bot? How about ... not a bot? I am real. Let me prove it: I have always thought the battle between vi and emacs was a joke*, since no one could be that stupid. So that either makes me an ultra rational machine or a humanoid with too finely tuned sense of humor. In any case, not a simple bot.

As alway hans,

YBT

* I have used both, but I tend to rely upon the latter more routinely.
jdixon

Feb 23, 2010
2:03 PM EDT
> ...I have always thought the battle between vi and emacs was a joke

You dare leave out pico. You infidel...
TxtEdMacs

Feb 23, 2010
4:22 PM EDT
jd,

When it just gets too small to measure, how far do you expect I need to exert myself? Tiny, centa, mili, micro, nano ... I just stop there. Pico is just too small a dimension to measure reliably without out sized error. Even when the precision seems fine and the scatter is low we cannot be assured we are accurate at that level.

YBT
Sander_Marechal

Feb 23, 2010
5:04 PM EDT
Txt: The battle was never between Vi and Emacs. It was between Vim and Emacs. That extra m makes all the difference.

I love Vim to death. It's just perfect. Emacs makes my pinky hurt. The only plus of Emacs over Vim I can see is elisp. Vim-script is a bit ... esoteric. But these days that doesn't matter anymore. Vim supports Python as a scripting language and IIRC Emacs does too.

Emacs, the other other OS. And it's a fine OS, it just lacks a decent text editor ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!